Stochastic Equilibrium and Exchange Rate Determination in a Small Open Economy with Risk Averse Optimizing Agents
AbstractThis paper constructs a stochastic general equilibrium model of a small open economy consisting of risk averse optimizing agents. The stochastic processes describing the rate of monetary growth, government expenditure, private production, and the foreign price level are taken to be exogenous, determining all asset risks and returns, and the equilibrium stochastic processes describing the domestic inflation rate and the exchange rate. The model is used to examine a number of issues. These include: (i) the effects of the means and variances of policy shocks on the equilibrium; (ii) the determinants of the foreign exchange risk premium; (iii) the relationship between net export instability and economic growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 3651.
Date of creation: Mar 1991
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Grinols, Earl L. and Stephen J. Turnovsky. "Exchange Rate Determination And Asset Prices In A Stochastic Small Open Economy," Journal of International Economics, 1994, v36(1/2), 75-97.
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Branson, William H. & Henderson, Dale W., 1985.
"The specification and influence of asset markets,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 749-805
- Floyd, John E, 1978. " The Asset Market Theory of the Exchange Rate: A Comment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 80(1), pages 100-103.
- Brock, Philip L., 1991. "Export instability and the economic performance of developing countries," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 129-147.
- Stockman, Alan C. & Svensson, Lars E. O., 1987.
"Capital flows, investment, and exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 171-201, March.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971.
"Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- R. C. Merton, 1970. "Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model," Working papers 58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1979. "The diversifiability of exchange risk," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 379-393, August.
- Kenen, Peter B & Voivodas, Constantine S, 1972. "Export Instability and Economic Growth," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(4), pages 791-804.
- Charles Engel, 1990.
"On the foreign exchange risk premium in a general equilibrium model,"
Research Working Paper
90-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Engel, Charles, 1992. "On the foreign exchange risk premium in a general equilibrium model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3-4), pages 305-319, May.
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1985.
"Domestic and Foreign Disturbances in an Optimizing Model of Exchange- Rate Determination,"
NBER Working Papers
1407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1985. "Domestic and foreign disturbances in an optimizing model of exchange-rate determination," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 151-171, March.
- Laidler, David E, 1977. "Expectations and the Behaviour of Prices and Output under Flexible Exchange Rates," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(176), pages 327-35, November.
- Giovannini, Alberto & Jorion, Philippe, 1987. "Interest rates and risk premia in the stock market and in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 107-123, March.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Marcelo Bianconi, 1992.
"The International Transmission of Tax Policies in a Dynamic World Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
4086, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Bianconi, Marcelo, 1992. "The International Transmission of Tax Policies in a Dynamic World Economy," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 49-72, November.
- Bianconi, Marcelo, 1995. "Fiscal policy in a simple two-country dynamic model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 395-419.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.