The Forward- and the Equity-Premium Puzzles: Two Symptoms of the Same Illness?
AbstractWe build a pricing kernel using only US domestic assets data and checkwhether it accounts for foreign markets stylized facts that escape consumptionbased models. By interpreting our stochastic discount factor as the projection ofa pricing kernel from a fully specified model in the space of returns, our results indicatethat a model that accounts for the behavior of domestic assets goes a longway toward accounting for the behavior of foreign assets. We address predictabilityissues associated with the forward premium puzzle by: i) using instrumentsthat are known to forecast excess returns in the moments restrictions associatedwith Euler equations, and; ii) by pricing Lustig and Verdelhan (2007)'s foreigncurrency portfolios. Our results indicate that the relevant state variables that explainforeign-currency market asset prices are also the driving forces behind U.S.domestic assets behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its series Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) with number 697.
Date of creation: 12 Aug 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Praia de Botafogo 190, sala 1100, Rio de Janeiro/RJ - CEP: 22253-900
Web page: http://epge.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Costa, Carlos Eugênio da & Issler, João Victor & Matos, Paulo F., 2012. "The Forward- and the Equity-Premium Puzzles: Two Symptoms of the Same Illness?," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 732, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Matos, Paulo & Costa, Carlos Eugênio da & Issler, João Victor, 2007. "The Forward- and the Equity-Premium Puzzles: Two Symptoms of the Same Illness?," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 649, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Costa, Carlos E. da & Issler, João Victor & Matos, Paulo F., 2010. "The forward- and the equity-premium puzzles: two symptoms of the same illness?," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 712, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2009-08-30 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-IFN-2009-08-30 (International Finance)
- NEP-UPT-2009-08-30 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985.
"The equity premium: A puzzle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- Korajczyk, Robert A. & Viallet, Claude J., 1992. "Equity risk premia and the pricing of foreign exchange risk," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 199-219, November.
- Charles Engel, 1996.
"The Forward Discount Anomaly and the Risk Premium: A Survey of Recent Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles, 1996. "The forward discount anomaly and the risk premium: A survey of recent evidence," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-192, June.
- Hanno Lustig & Adrien Verdelhan, 2006.
"Investing in Foreign Currency is like Betting on your Intertemporal Marginal Rate of Substitution,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 644-655, 04-05.
- Hanno Lustig & Adrien Verdelhan, 2005. "Investing in Foreign Currency is like Betting on your Intertemporal Marginal Rate of Substitution," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-040, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- David K. Backus & Silverio Foresi & Chris I. Telmer, 1995.
"Interpreting the Forward Premium Anomaly,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 28(s1), pages 108-119, November.
- Connor, Gregory & Korajczyk, Robert A., 1986. "Performance measurement with the arbitrage pricing theory : A new framework for analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 373-394, March.
- Chauvet, Marcelle & Potter, Simon, 2000. "Coincident and leading indicators of the stock market," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 87-111, May.
- Jushan Bai, 2009. "Panel Data Models With Interactive Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(4), pages 1229-1279, 07.
- Andrei G. Simonassi, 2006. "Estimando A Taxa De Retorno Livre De Risco No Brasil," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 180, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.