Capital Flows, Investment, and Exchange Rates
AbstractThis paper incorporates international capital flows into a two-country, monetary-general-equilibrium model of asset prices with investment and production. We use the model to calculate theoretical covariances between investment, the current account, the exchange rate, and the terms of trade.These covariances depend upon the coefficient of relative risk-aversion, the magnitude and sign of a country's net international indebtedness, other properties of tastes and technologies, and the stochastic processes on disturbances to productivity and monetary growth rates. International capital flows arise from changes in world wealth and its relative composition in foreign and domestic assets. The dynamic, stochastic relations between capital flows, exchange rates, investment, and the terms of trade are critically dependent on optimal portfolio allocations and the stochastic behavior of asset prices on international financial markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1598.
Date of creation: Aug 1987
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Stockman, Alan C., 1985.
Handbook of International Economics,
in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 917-977
- Long, John B, Jr & Plosser, Charles I, 1983. "Real Business Cycles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-69, February.
- William H. Branson & Dale W. Henderson, 1984.
"The Specification and Influence of Asset Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
1283, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1978.
"A Theory of Exchange Rate Determination,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
122, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Adler, Michael & Dumas, Bernard, 1983. " International Portfolio Choice and Corporation Finance: A Synthesis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 925-84, June.
- Torsten Persson & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1983.
"Current Account Dynamics and the Terms of Trade: Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Two Generations Later,"
NBER Working Papers
1129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Persson, Torsten & Svensson, Lars E O, 1985. "Current Account Dynamics and the Terms of Trade: Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Two Generations Later," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 43-65, February.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.