Exchange Market Intervention Under Alternative Forms of Exogenous Disturbances
AbstractThis paper analyzes exchange market intervention in a stochastic model of a small open economy. The distinction is made between disturbances which are unanticipated and anticipated on the one hand, and those that are perceived as being transitory or permanent, on the other. The paper demonstrates how the appropriate form of exchange market intervention is sensitive to these aspects of the disturbances. Of particular interest is the case of an unanticipated permanent disturbance, when output may be stabilized perfectly about its frictionless level by the use of a very simple class of intervention rules.The optimal rules in other cases are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1289.
Date of creation: Apr 1985
Date of revision:
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1984. "Exchange market intervention under alternative forms of exogenous disturbances," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3-4), pages 279-297, November.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, John B, 1977. "Conditions for Unique Solutions in Stochastic Macroeconomic Models with Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1377-85, September.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1983.
"On non-uniqueness in rational expectations models : An attempt at perspective,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 139-168.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1983. "On Non-Uniqueness in Rational Expectations Models: An Attempt at Perspective," NBER Working Papers 0684, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Poole, 1970.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Poole, William, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216, May.
- William Poole, 1969. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Special Studies Papers 2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1976. "Wage indexation: A macroeconomic approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 221-235, April.
- Cox, W. Michael, 1980. "Unanticipated money, output, and prices in the small economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 359-384, July.
- Boyer, Russell S, 1978. "Optimal Foreign Exchange Market Intervention," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1045-55, December.
- Don E. Roper & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1980. "Optimal Exchange Market Intervention in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(2), pages 296-309, May.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Joshua Aizenman, 1983.
"Aspects of the Optimal Management of Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
0748, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frenkel, Jacob A. & Aizenman, Joshua, 1982. "Aspects of the optimal management of exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3-4), pages 231-256, November.
- Barro, Robert J., 1976. "Rational expectations and the role of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Lee, Hsiu-Yun, 2011. "Nonlinear exchange rate dynamics under stochastic official intervention," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1510-1518, July.
- Stemp, Peter J, 1991. "Optimal Weights in a Check-List of Monetary Indicators," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 67(196), pages 1-13, March.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Vasco d'Orey, 1989.
"The Choice of Monetary Instrument in Two Interdependent Economies Under Uncertainty,"
NBER Working Papers
2604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. & d'Orey, Vasco, 1989. "The choice of monetary instrument in two interdependent economies under uncertainty," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 121-133, January.
- Keith Pilbeam, 2004. "The stabilization properties of fixed and floating exchange rate regimes," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 113-123.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.