Feedback and the Use of Current Information: The Use of General Linear Policy Rules in Rational Expectations Models
AbstractThe behavior of several stochastic dynamic rational expectations models is studied when policy behavior can be described by a linear rule. Four policy components are distinguished: a current response component, a feedback component, an open-loop component and a stochastic component. Policy is evaluated in terms of the current and asymptotic first and second moments of the state variables. The importance of distinguishing between variability and uncertainty is brought out. The conditional variance is argued to be the appropriate measure of uncertainty. The analysis is applied to a model of foreign exchange market intervention.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0335.
Date of creation: Apr 1979
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as (Published as "Saddlepoint Problems in Continuous Time Rational Expectations Models: A General Method and Some Macroeconomic Examples") Econometrica, Vol. 52, No. 3, (May 1984), pp. 665-680.
Note: ITI IFM
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin M. Friedman, 1977. "The Inefficiency of Short-Run Monetary Targets for Monetary Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 8(2), pages 293-346.
- Poole, William, 1970.
"Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press,
MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216, May.
- William Poole, 1969. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Special Studies Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Boyer, Russell S, 1978. "Optimal Foreign Exchange Market Intervention," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1045-55, December.
- Kareken, John H & Muench, Thomas & Wallace, Neil, 1973. "Optimal Open Market Strategy: The Use of Information Variables," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 63(1), pages 156-72, March.
- Taylor, John B, 1977. "Conditions for Unique Solutions in Stochastic Macroeconomic Models with Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1377-85, September.
- Black, Stanley W, 1976. " Comment on J. Williamson, "Exchange-Rate Flexibility and Reserve Use."," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 340-45.
- Don E. Roper & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1980. "Optimal Exchange Market Intervention in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(2), pages 296-309, May.
- Aoki, Masanao & Canzoneri, Matthew, 1979. "Reduced Forms of Rational Expectations Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 59-71, February.
- Woglom, Geoffrey, 1979. "Rational Expectations and Monetary Policy in a Simple Macroeconomic Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 93(1), pages 91-105, February.
- Shiller, Robert J., 1978.
"Rational expectations and the dynamic structure of macroeconomic models : A critical review,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1975. "Rational Expectations and the Dynamic Structure of Macroeconomic Models:A Critical Review," NBER Working Papers 0093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1976. "The Relative Stability of Alternative Exchange Rate Systems in the Presence of Random Disturbances," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(1), pages 29-50, February.
- Williamson, John, 1976. " Exchange-Rate Flexibility and Reserve Use," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 327-39.
- Stephen F. LeRoy, 1975. "Efficient use of current information in short-run monetary control," Special Studies Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 66, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.