The Lender of Last Resort and the Run on the Savings and Loans
AbstractSpeculative runs on asset price fixing schemes are most often attributed either to an inexplicable mass hysteria or to a sudden, unpredictable random disturbance. Such attribution places runs and panics outside of the realm of scientific inquiry. Alternatively, in this paper I define the notion of a run as a discontinuous shift in portfolio asset holdings brought about by a belief in the end of the price fixing regime. I also argue that runs are foreseeable events and employ the current difficulties of S & L's to serve as an extended example which emphasizes such predictability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 0823.
Date of creation: Dec 1981
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salant, Stephen W & Henderson, Dale W, 1978. "Market Anticipations of Government Policies and the Price of Gold," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 627-48, August.
- Stephen W. Salant & Dale W. Henderson, 1976. "Market anticipations, government policy, and the price of gold," International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 81, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jack Guttentag & Richard Herring, . "The Insolvency of Financial Institutions: Assessment and Regulatory Disposition," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research 17-81, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1973. "The Stability of Models of Money and Growth with Perfect Foresight," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1043-48, November.
- Nancy Marion, 1999. "Some Parallels Between Currency and Banking Crises," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 473-490, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.