Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach
AbstractThis paper explores some of the dimensions related to poverty and exclusion, by defining a Relational Capability Index (RCI) which focuses on the quality of relationships among people and on their level of relational empowerment. This index is rooted in a relational anthropology; it insists on the quality of the social fabric and of interpersonal relations as a key aspect of human development. As a multidimensional index, the RCI includes integration into networks, private relations and civic commitments. We provide an axiomatization of a family of multidimensional indexes. This axiomatic viewpoint fills the gap between theories of justice and poverty measurements. By means of illustration, we apply three different versions of the RCI, which are elements of this family, to the measurement of the impact of oil companies on local communities in the Niger Delta (Nigeria) and to national surveys (Afrobarometer).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne in its series Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne with number 12096.
Length: 55 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Multidimensional poverty; geometric mean; maximin solution; utilitarian solution; coherence; Nigeria; oil company;
Other versions of this item:
- Giraud, Gaël & Renouard, Cécile & L’Huillier, Hélène & de la Martinière, Raphaële & Sutter, Camille, 2013. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," ESSEC Working Papers WP1306, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Gaël Giraud & Cécile Renouard & Hélène L'Huillier & Raphaële De La Martinière & Camille Sutter, 2012. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00827690, HAL.
- Gaël Giraud & Cécile Renouard & Hélène L'Huillier & Raphaële De La Martinière & Camille Sutter, 2013. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00815586, HAL.
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ACKET Sylvain & BORSENBERGER Monique & DICKES Paul & SARRACINO Francesco, 2011. "Measuring and validating social cohesion: a bottom-up approach," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-08, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Cecile Renouard, 2011. "Corporate Social Responsibility, Utilitarianism, and the Capabilities Approach," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 85-97, January.
- Yélé Batana, 2013. "Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty Among Women in Sub-Saharan Africa," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 337-362, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.