HDR 1990 - Concept and Measurement of Human Development
AbstractThe Human Development Report (HDR) was first launched in 1990 with the single goal of putting people back at the center of the development process in terms of economic debate, policy and advocacy. The goal was both massive and simple, with far-ranging implications — going beyond income to assess the level of people’s long-term well-being. Bringing about development of the people, by the people, and for the people, and emphasizing that the goals of development are choices and freedoms. The Report addresses, as its main issue, the question of how economic growth translates - or fails to translate - into human development. The focus is on people and on how development enlarges their choices. The Report discusses the meaning and measurement of human development, proposing a new composite index. But its overall orientation is practical and pragmatic. It summarizes the record of human development over the past three decades, and it analyses the experience of 14 countries in managing economic growth in the interest of the broadest possible number of people. With this as its foundation, the Report then sets forth strategies for human development in the 1990s, emphasizing the importance of restructuring budgetary expenditures, including military expenditures, and creating an international economic and financial environment conducive to human development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in its series Human Development Report (1990 to present) with number hdr1990 and published in 1990.
human development; international development; measurement;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A0 - General Economics and Teaching - - General
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- D0 - Microeconomics - - General
- E0 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General
- F0 - International Economics - - General
- G0 - Financial Economics - - General
- H0 - Public Economics - - General
- I0 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - General
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- K0 - Law and Economics - - General
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
- L3 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
- Q0 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- Y1 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Data: Tables and Charts
- Y8 - Miscellaneous Categories - - Related Disciplines
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gaël GIRAUD & Cécile RENOUARD & Hélène L'HUILLIER & Raphaële DE LA MARTINIERE & Camille SUTTER, 2013.
"Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach,"
- Gaël Giraud & Cécile Renouard & Hélène L'Huillier & Raphaële de la Martinière & Camille Sutter, 2012. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 12096, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Gaël GIRAUD & Cécile RENOUARD & Hélène L'HUILLIER & Raphaële DE LA MARTINIERE & Camille SUTTER, 2013. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," Working Papers I15, FERDI.
- Giraud, Gaël & Renouard, Cécile & L’Huillier, Hélène & de la Martinière, Raphaële & Sutter, Camille, 2013. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," ESSEC Working Papers WP1306, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HDRO/UNDP).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.