Measuring and validating social cohesion: a bottom-up approach
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to provide a synthetic macro index of social cohesion based on the observation of several individual level variables. Based on the definition of social cohesion by Bernard (1999) and Chan et al. (2006) an index of social cohesion (henceforth VALCOS Index) was created. It covers the political and sociocultural domains of life in their formal and substantial relations. Results suggest that the VALCOS-Index of social cohesion is strongly and significantly correlated with other macro indicators largely used by the scientific community. The aggregation of EVS 2008 data on social cohesion together with many macro indicators of several dimensions of social life (including economic, socio-demographic, health and subjective well-being indicators) allowed us to rank social cohesion across 39 European countries and to explore differences across groups of countries. Subsequently, we validated our index by correlating it with many national level variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CEPS/INSTEAD in its series CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series with number 2011-08.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 3, avenue de la Fonte, L-4364 Esch-sur-Alzette, G.-D. Luxembourg
Phone: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 1
Fax: 00352 / 58 58 55 - 700
Web page: http://www.ceps.lu
More information through EDIRC
social cohesion; methodology; macro index; micro index; EVS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2011-02-05 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-SOC-2011-02-05 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gaël Giraud & Cécile Renouard & Hélène L'Huillier & Raphaële de la Martinière & Camille Sutter, 2012.
"Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
12096, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Giraud, Gaël & Renouard, Cécile & L’Huillier, Hélène & de la Martinière, Raphaële & Sutter, Camille, 2013. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," ESSEC Working Papers WP1306, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Gaël Giraud & Cécile Renouard & Hélène L'Huillier & Raphaële De La Martinière & Camille Sutter, 2012. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00827690, HAL.
- Gaël Giraud & Cécile Renouard & Hélène L'Huillier & Raphaële De La Martinière & Camille Sutter, 2013. "Relational Capability: A Multidimensional Approach," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00815586, HAL.
- KLEIN Carlo, 2011. "Social capital or social cohesion: what matters for subjective well-being (SWB)?," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-36, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Hannes Andréasson & Niklas Elert & Nils Karlson, 2013. "Does Social Cohesion Really Promote Reforms?," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 33, WWWforEurope.
- KLEIN Carlo, 2012. "La cohésion sociale : un effet externe de l'investissement éducatif ?," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2012-39, CEPS/INSTEAD.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Begona Levices).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.