Oligopoly and price transmission in Turkey's fluid milk market
AbstractFarmers and consumers suspect that processing firms abuse their power in the milk marketing chain. We employ threshold autoregressive and moment threshold autoregressive tests and contrary to expectations find evidence of a downward trend in wholesale milk price without a corresponding decline in farm-gate prices. The downward trend coincides with increased competition in the dairy industry and with the growing market share of the formal sector at the expense of the informal sector. Major dairy processing firms expand their market share and still enjoy healthy profits thanks to increasing returns to scale in processing and distribution in a growing market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Mardin Artuklu Univeristy, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2011-03.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: published (Agribusiness: An International Journal (2013): DOI: 10.1002/agr.21333)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Mardin Artuklu Univeristy Sosyal Bilimler Enstitusu Diyarbakir Yolu, Yenisehir Mardin, 47100 Turkey
Web page: http://iktisat.artuklu.edu.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Dairy; Oligopoly; TAR; M-TAR; Turkey;
Other versions of this item:
- Hasan Tekgüç, 2013. "Oligopoly and Price Transmission in Turkey's Fluid Milk Market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(3), pages 293-305, 06.
- Tekguc, Hasan, 2010. "Oligopoly and price transmission in Turkey’s fluid milk market," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany, European Association of Agricultural Economists 61087, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 1998. "Estimating Asymmetric Price Transmission with the Error Correction Representation: An application to the German Pork Market," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 1-18.
- Aydin Celen & Tarkan Erdogan & Tarkan Erdogan, 2005. "Fast Moving Consumer Goods: Competitive Conditions and Policies," ERC Working Papers, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University 0503, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Jun 2005.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hasan Tekguc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.