Strategic Exploitation of a Common Resource under Environmental Risk
AbstractWe study the effect of environmental risk on the extraction of a common resource. Using a dynamic and non-cooperative game in which an environmental event impacts the renewability and the quality of the resource, we show that the anticipation of such an event has an ambiguous effect on extraction and the tragedy of the commons. A risk of a reduction in the renewability induces the agents to extract less today while a risk of a deterioration in the quality has the opposite effect. Moreover, when environmental risk induces conservation, the tragedy of the commons is worsened.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 1131.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Conservation; Dynamic games; Environmental risk; Renewable resources; Tragedy of the Commons;
Other versions of this item:
- Fesselmeyer, Eric & Santugini, Marc, 2013. "Strategic exploitation of a common resource under environmental risk," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 125-136.
- Eric Fesselmeyer & Marc Santugini, 2009. "Strategic Exploitation of a Common Resource under Environmental Risk," Cahiers de recherche 09-08, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée, revised Feb 2012.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - General
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis H. R. Alvarez & Erkki Koskela, 2004.
"Does Risk Aversion Accelerate Optimal Forest Rotation under Uncertainty?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1285, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alvarez, Luis H.R. & Koskela, Erkki, 2006. "Does risk aversion accelerate optimal forest rotation under uncertainty?," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 171-184, December.
- Christos Koulovatianos & Elena Antoniadou & Leonard J.Mirman, 2007.
"Strategic Exploitation of a Common-Property Resource under Uncertainty,"
Vienna Economics Papers
0703, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Antoniadou, Elena & Koulovatianos, Christos & Mirman, Leonard J., 2013. "Strategic exploitation of a common-property resource under uncertainty," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 28-39.
- Jérémy LAURENT-LUCCHETTI & Marc SANTUGINI, 2010.
"Ownership Risk and the Use of Common-Pool Natural Resources,"
Cahiers de recherche
10-03, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée, revised May 2011.
- Laurent-Lucchetti, Jérémy & Santugini, Marc, 2012. "Ownership risk and the use of common-pool natural resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 242-259.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Spulber, Daniel F., 1984. "Uncertainty and markets for renewable resources," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 239-264, December.
- Reed, William J., 1993. "The decision to conserve or harvest old-growth forest," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 45-69, August.
- Robert T. Deacon & Henning Bohn, 2000.
"Ownership Risk, Investment, and the Use of Natural Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 526-549, June.
- Bohn, Henning & Deacon, Robert, 1997. "Ownership Risk, Investment, and the Use of Natural Resources," Discussion Papers dp-97-20, Resources For the Future.
- AMIR , Rabah, 1995.
"Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transition,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995009, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Amir, Rabah, 1996. "Continuous Stochastic Games of Capital Accumulation with Convex Transitions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 111-131, August.
- Tapan Mitra & Santanu Roy, 2006.
"Optimal exploitation of renewable resources under uncertainty and the extinction of species,"
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 1-23, 05.
- Mitra, Tapan & Roy, Santanu, 2003. "Optimal Exploitation of Renewable Resources under Uncertainty and the Extinction of Species," Working Papers 03-10, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 1996. "Accounting for global warming risks: Resource management under event uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(6-7), pages 1289-1305.
- Laukkanen, Marita, 2003. "Cooperative and non-cooperative harvesting in a stochastic sequential fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(2, Supple), pages 454-473, March.
- Clarke, Harry R. & Reed, William J., 1994. "Consumption/pollution tradeoffs in an environment vulnerable to pollution-related catastrophic collapse," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 991-1010, September.
- Epstein, Gil S., 1996. "The extraction of natural resources from two sites under uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 309-313, June.
- Tsur Yacov & Zemel Amos, 1995. "Uncertainty and Irreversibility in Groundwater Resource Management," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 149-161, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.