Large Portfolio Risk Management and Optimal Portfolio Allocation with Dynamic Copulas
AbstractPrevious research focuses on the importance of modeling the multivariate distribution for optimal portfolio allocation and active risk management. However, available dynamic models are not easily applied for high-dimensional problems due to the curse of dimensionality. In this paper, we extend the framework of the Dynamic Conditional Correlation/Equicorrelation and an extreme value approach into a series of Dynamic Conditional Elliptical Copulas. We investigate risk measures like Value at Risk (VaR) and Expected Shortfall (ES) for passive portfolios and dynamic optimal portfolios through Mean-Variance and ES criteria for a sample of US stocks over a period of 10 years. Our results suggest that (1) Modeling the marginal distribution is important for the dynamic high dimensional multivariate models. (2) Neglecting the dynamic dependence in the copula causes over-aggressive risk management. (3) TheDCC/DECO Gaussian copula and t-copula work very well for both VaR and ES. (4)Grouped t-copula and t-copula with dynamic degrees of freedom further match the fat tail. (5) Correctly modeling dependence structure makes an improvement in portfolio optimization against the tail risk. (6) Models driven by multivariate t innovations with exogenously given degrees of freedom provide a .exible and applicable alternative for optimal portfolio risk management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg in its series LSF Research Working Paper Series with number 11-10.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Bâtiment K2, 4, rue Albert Borschette, L-1246 Luxembourg-Kirchberg
Phone: +352 46 66 44 6335
Fax: +352 46 66 44 6811
Web page: http://wwwen.uni.lu/luxembourg_school_of_finance
More information through EDIRC
risk management; assets allocation; VaR; ES; dynamic conditional correlation (DCC); dynamic equicorrelation (DECO); dynamic copula.;
Other versions of this item:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kai Konrad, 2008.
"Mobile tax base as a global common,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 395-414, August.
- HINDRIKS, Jean & PERALTA, Susana & WEBER, Shlomo, 2006.
"Competing in taxes and investment under fiscal equalization,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006109, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hindriks, Jean & Peralta, Susana & Weber, Shlomo, 2008. "Competing in taxes and investment under fiscal equalization," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(12), pages 2392-2402, December.
- Jean, HINDRIKS & Susana, PERALTA & Sholmo, WEBER, 2006. "Competing in taxes and investment under fiscal equalization," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006062, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Hindriks, Jean J.G. & Peralta, Susana & Weber, Shlomo, 2007. "Competing in Taxes and Investment under Fiscal Equalization," CEPR Discussion Papers 6431, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Streeten, Paul, 1993. "The special problems of small countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 197-202, February.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Schleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2001.
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Dharmapala, Dhammika & Hines Jr., James R., 2009.
"Which countries become tax havens?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(9-10), pages 1058-1068, October.
- Patrice Pieretti & Skerdilajda Zanaj, 2009.
"On tax competition, public goods provision and jurisdictions' size,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
09-14, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Pieretti, Patrice & Zanaj, Skerdilajda, 2011. "On tax competition, public goods provision and jurisdictions' size," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 124-130, May.
- PIERETTI, Patrice & ZANAJ, Skerdilajda, 2009. "On tax competition, public goods provision and jurisdictions’ size," CORE Discussion Papers 2009012, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gehrig, Thomas, 1998. "Competing markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 277-310, February.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Justman, Moshe & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2002.
"Taking the bite out of fiscal competition,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 294-315, September.
- Justman, Moshe & Thisse, Jacques-François & van Ypersele, Tanguy, 2001. "Taking the Bite Out of Fiscal Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3109, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- JUSTMAN, Moshe & THISSE, Jacques-François & VAN YPERSELE, Tanguy, . "Taking the bite out of fiscal competition," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1598, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Olsson, Ola & Hansson, Gustav, 2011.
"Country size and the rule of law: Resuscitating Montesquieu,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 613-629, June.
- Gustav Hansson & Ola Olsson, 2006. "Country Size and the Rule of Law: Resuscitating Montesquieu," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_033, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Hansson, Gustav & Olsson, Ola, 2006. "Country Size and the Rule of Law: Resuscitating Montesquieu," Working Papers in Economics 200, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Jean Hindriks & Gareth D. Myles, 2006. "Intermediate Public Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262083442, December.
- James R. Hines, 2010. "Treasure Islands," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(4), pages 103-26, Fall.
- Hampton, Mark P. & Christensen, John, 2002. "Offshore Pariahs? Small Island Economies, Tax Havens, and the Re-configuration of Global Finance," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1657-1673, September.
- Bucovetsky, S., 1991. "Asymmetric tax competition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 167-181, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martine Zenner).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.