Productivity, Technical Efficiency, and Farm Size in Paraguayan Agriculture
AbstractThis essay assesses the relationship between farm size and productivity. Both parametric and nonparametric methods are used to derive efficiency measures. Smaller farms are found to have higher net farm income per hectare, and to be more technically efficient, than larger farms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_490.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-02-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2007-02-24 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea, 1985. "Farm size, land yields and the agricultural production function: An analysis for fifteen developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 513-534, April.
- Verma, B N & Bromley, Daniel W, 1987. "The Political Economy of Farm Size in India: The Elusive Quest," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(4), pages 791-808, July.
- Bhalla, Surjit S & Roy, Prannoy L, 1988. "Mis-specification in Farm Productivity Analysis: The Role of Land Quality," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(1), pages 55-73, March.
- Ball, Richard & Pounder, Laurie, 1996. ""Efficient but Poor" Revisited," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(4), pages 735-60, July.
- Benjamin, Dwayne, 1995. "Can unobserved land quality explain the inverse productivity relationship?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 51-84, February.
- Byiringiro, Fidele & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(2), November.
- Newell, Andrew & Pandya, Kiran & Symons, James, 1997. "Farm Size and the Intensity of Land Use in Gujarat," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 307-15, April.
- Feder, Gershon, 1985. "The relation between farm size and farm productivity : The role of family labor, supervision and credit constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 297-313, August.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1995.
"Power, distortions, revolt and reform in agricultural land relations,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 42, pages 2659-2772
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1993. "Power, distortions, revolt, and reform in agricultural land relations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1164, The World Bank.
- Frisvold, George B., 1994. "Does supervision matter? Some hypothesis tests using Indian farm-level data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 217-238, April.
- Byiringiro, Fidele & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 127-136, November.
- Bachev, Hrabrin, 2012. "Framework for assessing efficiency of farms and agrarian organizations," MPRA Paper 40136, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hrabrin Bashev, 2012. "Efficiency of Farms and Agrarian Organizations (Bulgarian)," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 46-77.
- Okoye, B.C & Agbaeze, C.C & Asumugha, G.N & Aniedu, O.C & Mbanaso, E.N.A, 2009. "Small is Beautiful: Empirical Evidence of an Inverse Relationship between Farm Size and Productive Efficiency in Small-Holder Cassava Production in Ideato North LGA of Imo State," MPRA Paper 17418, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hrabrin Bashev, 2012. "Efficiency of Farms and Agrarian Organizations (English)," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 78-104.
- Ukoha, O.O & Okoye, B.C & Emetu, J, 2010. "Analysis of the Determinants of Total Factor Productivity among Small-Holder Cassava Farmers in Ohafia L.G.A of Abia State," MPRA Paper 26125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.