Mis-specification in Farm Productivity Analysis: The Role of Land Quality
AbstractA stylized fact of development literature is that there is an inverse relationship between farm size and land productivity. This has been interpreted to indicate that labor dualism is a pervasive phenomenon in the rural areas of developing countries. A large survey (1976-77) of Indian farm households is used to test the existence of the inverse relationship after accounting for farm-specific land quality factors. Such factors weaken significantly, and in many areas eliminate, the "observed" inverse relationship. Copyright 1988 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 40 (1988)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Holden, Stein & Fisher, Monica, 2013. "Can area measurement error explain the inverse farm size productivity relationship?," CLTS Working Papers 12/13, Centre for Land Tenure Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- Klasen, Stephan & Reimers, Malte, 2013. "Looking at Pro-Poor Growth from an Agricultural Perspective," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149745, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Pokrivcak, Jan, 2013. "Empirical Evidence of the Distributional Effects of the CAP in New EU Member States," Factor Markets Working Papers 170, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Lipton, Michael, 2010. "From Policy Aims and Small-farm Characteristics to Farm Science Needs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1399-1412, October.
- Deininger, Klaus & Castagnini, Raffaella, 2004.
"Incidence and impact of land conflict in Uganda,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3248, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & Sen, Binayak & DEC, 1994. "How land-based targeting affects rural poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1270, The World Bank.
- Foster, Andrew D. & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 2010.
"Is There Surplus Labor in Rural India?,"
85, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Carletto, Calogero & Savastano, Sara & Zezza, Alberto, 2013.
"Fact or artifact: The impact of measurement errors on the farm size–productivity relationship,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 254-261.
- Carletto, Calogero & Savastano, Sara & Zezza, Alberto, 2011. "Fact or artefact : the impact of measurement errors on the farm size - productivity relationship," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5908, The World Bank.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Bellemare, Marc F. & Hou, Janet Y., 2010.
"Reconsidering Conventional Explanations of the Inverse Productivity-Size Relationship,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Marc F. Bellemare & Janet Y. Hou, 2010. "Reconsidering Conventional Explanations of the Inverse Productivity-Size Relationship," Working Papers 10-22, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Kilic, Talip & Zezza, Alberto & Carletto, Calogero & Savastano, Sara, 2013. "Missing(ness) in action : selectivity bias in GPS-based land area measurements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6490, The World Bank.
- Darla Munroe, 2001. "Economic Efficiency in Polish Peasant Farming: An International Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 461-471.
- Derek D. Headey & D.S. Prasada Rao & Mohammad Alauddin, 2005. "Explaining Agricultural Productivity Levels and Growth: An International Perspective," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022005, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Christophe Kasigwa Masumbuko & Mwambusa Ct Makuta & Niranda Ntamwira, 2012. "Enquete socio-économique dans les bassins de productionagricole du PIRAM dans la Province du Manièma en RD CONGO. Décembre 2012," Working Papers hal-00871281, HAL.
- R. Albert Berry, 1998. "Agrarian Reform, Land Distribution, and Small-Farm Policy as Preventive of Humanitarian Emergencies," Working Papers berry-98-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Carletto, Calogero & Gourlay, Sydney & Winters, Paul, 2013. "From guesstimates to GPStimates : land area measurement and implications for agricultural analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6550, The World Bank.
- Thomas Masterson, 2007. "Productivity, Technical Efficiency, and Farm Size in Paraguayan Agriculture," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_490, Levy Economics Institute, The.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.