On the Consequences of State Dependent Preferences for the Pricing of Financial Assets
AbstractThis paper introduces state dependent utility into the standard Mehra and Prescott (1985) economy by allowing the representative agent's coefficient of relative risk aversion to vary with the underlying economy's growth rate. Existence of equilibrium is proved and its asymptotic properties analyzed. This generalization leads to level dependent marginal rates of substitution, a property that sharply distinguishes this model from the standard construct. For very low coefficients of relative risk aversion, the equilibrium risk free and risky security returns are demonstrated to have volatilities and an associated equity premium that substantially exceed what is found in the data. This provides a contrasting perspective on the classic "equity premium puzzle."
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP in its series Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) with number 02.17.
Length: 33 pp.
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP, Internef, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: ++41 21 692.33.64
Fax: ++41 21 692.33.05
Web page: http://www.hec.unil.ch/deep/publications/cahiers/series
More information through EDIRC
state dependent utility; equity premium; equity premium puzzle;
Other versions of this item:
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B. & Giannikos, Christos & Guirguis, Hany, 2004. "On the consequences of state dependent preferences for the pricing of financial assets," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 143-153, September.
- Jean-Pierre Danthine & John B. Donaldson & Christos Giannikos & Hany Guirguis, 2004. "On the Consequences of State Dependent Preferences for the Pricing of Financial Assets," FAME Research Paper Series rp73, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B & Giannikos, Chrisos & Guirguis, Hany, 2003. "On the Consequences of State Dependent Preferences for the Pricing of Financial Assets," CEPR Discussion Papers 3697, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- G00 - Financial Economics - - General - - - General
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Constantinides, 1990.
"Habit formation: a resolution of the equity premium puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1397, David K. Levine.
- Constantinides, George M, 1990. "Habit Formation: A Resolution of the Equity Premium Puzzle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 519-43, June.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994.
"By force of habit: a consumption-based explanation of aggregate stock market behavior,"
94-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Cochrane, John H. & Campbell, John, 1999. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," Scholarly Articles 3119444, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1995. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & John H. Cochrane, 1994. "By Force of Habit: A Consumption-Based Explanation of Aggregate Stock Market Behavior," CRSP working papers 412, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Philippe Weil, 1989.
"The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Riskfree Rate Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
2829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "The equity premium puzzle and the risk-free rate puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 401-421, November.
- Phillippe Weil, 1997. "The Equity Premium Puzzle and the Risk-Free Rate Puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1833, David K. Levine.
- Antoni Bosch-Domènech & Joaquim Silvestre, 1999.
"Does risk aversion or attraction depend on income? An experiment,"
Economics Working Papers
361, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Mar 1999.
- Bosch-Domenech, Antoni & Silvestre, Joaquim, 1999. "Does risk aversion or attraction depend on income? An experiment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 265-273, December.
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Nygren, Thomas E. & Isen, Alice M. & Taylor, Pamela J. & Dulin, Jessica, 1996. "The Influence of Positive Affect on the Decision Rule in Risk Situations: Focus on Outcome (and Especially Avoidance of Loss) Rather Than Probability," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 59-72, April.
- Rajnish Mehra & Raaj Sah, 1999.
"Can Small Fluctuations in Investors' Subjective Preferences Induce Large Volatility in Equity Prices?,"
9917, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Sah, Raaj, 2002. "Mood fluctuations, projection bias, and volatility of equity prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 869-887, May.
- Antonio Falato, 2003. "Happiness Maintenance and Asset Prices," Finance 0310003, EconWPA.
- Angelo Melino & Alan X. Yang, 2003.
"State Dependent Preferences Can Explain the Equity Premium Puzzle,"
melino-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Angelo Melino & Alan X. Yang, 2003. "State Dependent Preferences Can Explain the Equity Premium Puzzle," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(4), pages 806-830, October.
- Isen, Alice M. & Geva, Nehemia, 1987. "The influence of positive affect on acceptable level of risk: The person with a large canoe has a large worry," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 145-154, April.
- Falato, Antonio, 2009. "Happiness maintenance and asset prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1247-1262, June.
- Kraus, Alan & Sagi, Jacob S., 2006. "Asset pricing with unforeseen contingencies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 417-453, November.
- Miroslav Misina, 2003.
"What Does the Risk-Appetite Index Measure?,"
03-23, Bank of Canada.
- Antonio Falato, 2008. "Happiness maintenance and asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2010.
"Non-parametric counterfactual analysis in dynamic general equilibrium,"
Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 181-200, October.
- Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2007. "Non-parametric counterfactual analysis in dynamic general equilibrium," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-027, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Felix KUBLER & Karl SCHMEDDERS, . "Non-parametric counterfactual analysis in dynamic general equilibrium," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 09-05, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Miroslav Misina, 2005. "Risk Perceptions and Attitudes," Working Papers 05-17, Bank of Canada.
- Jaime A. Londo\~no, 2006. "State Dependent Utility," Papers math/0603316, arXiv.org.
- Dominique Pepin, 2011. "Instabilité des comportements et cycles financiers : une relecture dans un cadre rationnel avec préférences endogènes," Working Papers hal-00960012, HAL.
- Pascal St-Amour, 2004. "Ratchet vs Blasé Investors and Asset Markets," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-11, CIRANO.
- John Donaldson & Rajnish Mehra, 2007. "Risk Based Explanations of the Equity Premium," NBER Working Papers 13220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudine Delapierre Saudan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.