Local Competition and Impact of Entry by a Dominant Retailer
AbstractThis paper analyzes the competition between two spatially differentiated multi-product retailers who encounter entry from a dominant discount retailer. Our primary objective is to determine how entry affects the pricing and relative profits of the incumbent stores and the role played by the location of the entrant. The new entrant has partial overlap in product assortment with the incumbents and is assumed to have lower procurement costs for the common goods. Consumers are heterogeneous in their location, economic status (shopping costs and valuations), as well as purchase basket or the types of products demanded. Results show that in the post entry equilibrium, the prices for the products not offered by the discounter are higher than the pre entry prices. More interestingly, contrary to the conventional wisdom we find that the store that is closer to the new entrant is better off compared to the incumbent located further away. The intuition for these results is that the discounter with its low price draws away the poor consumers – the price sensitive segment – out of the market for the items it carries. This in turn softens price competition between the incumbents for these items. Furthermore, the new entrant’s unique product offering attracts more consumers to visit the location it occupies, which introduces positive demand externalities to the neighboring retailer, leading to an increase in sales for the non-competing products. We provide empirical evidence for our results and discuss implications for retailers facing competition from large discount stores.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics in its series CIE Discussion Papers with number 2005-05.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: May 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark
Phone: (0045) 35 32 30 54
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/cie/
More information through EDIRC
entry; retail competition; agglomeration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-11-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2005-11-12 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2005-11-12 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2005-11-12 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-IND-2005-11-12 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2005-11-12 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2005-11-12 (Marketing)
- NEP-TID-2005-11-12 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- NEP-URE-2005-11-12 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emek Basker, 2007.
"The Causes and Consequences of Wal-Mart's Growth,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 21(3), pages 177-198, Summer.
- Widenhorn, Andreas & Salhofer, Klaus, 2012. "Price sensitivity within and across retail formats," Congress Papers 124108, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Catherine Tucker & Juanjuan Zhang, 2008. "Decomposing the Congestion Effect and the Cross-Platform Effect in Two-Sided Networks: A Field Experiment," Working Papers 08-12, NET Institute, revised Oct 2008.
- Mitsuru Igami, 2011. "Does Big Drive Out Small?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Cleeren, Kathleen & Dekimpe, Marnik G. & Gielens, Katrijn & Verboven, Frank, 2008.
"Intra- and Inter-Format Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kathleen Cleeren & Frank Verboven & Marnik G. Dekimpe & Katrijn Gielens, 2010. "Intra- and Interformat Competition Among Discounters and Supermarkets," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 456-473, 05-06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.