Swedish Labor Market Training and the Duration of Unemployment
AbstractThe vocational employment training program is the most ambitious and expensive training program in Sweden and a cornerstone of labor market policy. We analyze causal effects on the individual transition rate from unemployment to employment by exploiting variation in the timing of treatment and outcome, dealing with selectivity on unobservables. We demonstrate the appropriateness of this approach in our context by studying the assignment. We also develop a model allowing for duration dependence and unobserved heterogeneity (leading to spurious duration dependence) in the treatment effect, and we prove non-parametric identification. The data cover the population and include multiple unemployment spells for many individuals. The results indicate a large significantly positive effect on exit to work shortly after exiting the program. The effect at the individual level diminishes after some weeks. When taking account of the time spent in the program, the effect on the mean unemployment duration is often close to zero.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 2314.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Richardson, Katarina & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2006. "Swedish Labour Market Training and the Duration of Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 5895, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-HRM-2006-09-30 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
- NEP-LAB-2006-09-30 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Heckman & Christopher R. Taber, 1994. "Econometric Mixture Models and More General Models for Unobservables in Duration Analysis," NBER Technical Working Papers 0157, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2000.
"Duration Models: Specification, Identification, and Multiple Durations,"
9446, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Van den Berg, Gerard J., 2001. "Duration models: specification, identification and multiple durations," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 55, pages 3381-3460 Elsevier.
- Abbring, Jaap H. & van den Berg, Gerard J., 2003.
"Analyzing the Effect of Dynamically Assigned Treatments Using Duration Models, Binary Treatment Models, and Panel Data Models,"
IZA Discussion Papers
831, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2004. "Analyzing the effect of dynamically assigned treatments using duration models, binary treatment models, and panel data models," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 5-20, January.
- Ridder, Geert, 1990. "The Non-parametric Identification of Generalized Accelerated Failure-Time Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 167-81, April.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2003. "The Nonparametric Identification of Treatment Effects in Duration Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1491-1517, 09.
- Regner, Hakan, 2002. "A nonexperimental evaluation of training programs for the unemployed in Sweden," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 187-206, April.
- Carling, Kenneth & Edin, Per-Anders & Harkman, Anders & Holmlund, Bertil, 1996. "Unemployment duration, unemployment benefits, and labor market programs in Sweden," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 313-334, March.
- Matz Dahlberg & Anders Forslund, 2005. "Direct Displacement Effects of Labour Market Programmes," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(3), pages 475-494, 09.
- Brännäs, Kurt, 2000.
"Estimation in a Duration Model for Evaluating Educational Programs,"
IZA Discussion Papers
103, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brännäs, Kurt, 2000. "Estimation in a Duration Model for Evaluating Educational Programs," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 521, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Robert G. Fay, 1996. "Enhancing the Effectiveness of Active Labour Market Policies: Evidence from Programme Evaluations in OECD Countries," OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers 18, OECD Publishing.
- Heckman, James J. & Lalonde, Robert J. & Smith, Jeffrey A., 1999. "The economics and econometrics of active labor market programs," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1865-2097 Elsevier.
- Edin, P-A. & Holmlund, B., 1990. "Unemployment, Vacancies And Labour Market Programmes: Swedish Evidence," Papers 1990j, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Annette BERGEMANN & Gerard J. VAN DEN BERG, 2008.
"Active Labor Market Policy Effects for Women in Europe – A Survey,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 91-92, pages 385-408.
- Bergemann, Annette & van den Berg, Gerard, 2007. "Active labor market policy effects for women in Europe - a survey," Working Paper Series 2007:3, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Bergemann, Annette & van den Berg, Gerard J., 2006. "Active Labor Market Policy Effects for Women in Europe: A Survey," IZA Discussion Papers 2365, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Annette Bergemann & Gerard van den Berg, 2006. "Active labour market policy effects for women in Europe - a survey," IFS Working Papers W06/26, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bergemann, Annette & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2007. "Active Labour Market Policy Effects for Women in Europe - A Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 6034, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Albrecht, James & van den Berg, Gerard J & Vroman, Susan, 2006.
"The Aggregate Labour Market Effects of the Swedish Knowledge Lift Program,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5927, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Albrecht & Gerard van den Berg & Susan Vroman, 2009. "The Aggregate Labor Market Effects of the Swedish Knowledge Lift Program," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(1), pages 129-146, January.
- Albrecht, James & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Vroman, Susan, 2006. "The Aggregate Labor Market Effects of the Swedish Knowledge Lift Program," IZA Discussion Papers 2385, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Albrecht, James & van den Berg, Gerard J & Vroman, Susan, 2007. "The aggregate labor market effects of the Swedish knowledge lift program," Working Paper Series 2008:1, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Antoine Terracol, 2009.
"Guaranteed minimum income and unemployment duration in France,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Terracol, Antoine, 2009. "Guaranteed minimum income and unemployment duration in France," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 171-182, April.
- Reinhard Hujer & Stephan Thomsen & Christopher Zeiss, 2006.
"The effects of vocational training programmes on the duration of unemployment in Eastern Germany,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 90(2), pages 299-321, June.
- Hujer, Reinhard & Thomsen, Stephan Lothar & Zeiss, Christopher, 2004. "The Effects of Vocational Training Programmes on the Duration of Unemployment in Eastern Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1117, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.