Estimation in a Duration Model for Evaluating Educational Programs
AbstractThe paper proposes two estimation approaches for duration models that are subject to right censored observations and selection effects. Main focus is on accelerated duration models and the estimators are of the limited information type, i.e. they are not based on a fully specified selection model. The estimators are instrumental variable adaptations to the Powell symmetrically trimmed least squares and the Buckley-James estimators for right censored data. In a small Monte Carlo study they are found to perform well. Empirical results are presented for total time outside the unemployment state for participants in the Swedish Adult Education Initiative and labour market training. The latter ones are included as controls and are found to have significantly longer times outside the unemployment state. There are strong indications of selection effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 521.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 12 Jan 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Buckley-James: Powell; censoring; selection; instrumental variable; adult education initiative;
Other versions of this item:
- Brännäs, Kurt, 2000. "Estimation in a Duration Model for Evaluating Educational Programs," IZA Discussion Papers 103, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2000-01-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-EDU-2000-01-17 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2000-01-24 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stenberg, Anders, 2002. "Comprehensive Education for the Unemployed - Evaluating the Effectson Unemployment of the Adult Education Initiative in Sweden (Kunskapslyftet)(Kunskapslyftet)," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 579, Umeå University, Department of Economics, revised 07 May 2003.
- Hujer, Reinhard & Wellner, Marc, 2000. "Berufliche Weiterbildung und individuelle Arbeitslosigkeitsdauer in West- und Ostdeutschland : eine mikroökonometrische Analyse (Further vocational training and individual duration ofunemployment in ," Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 33(3), pages 405-420.
- Richardson, Katarina & van den Berg, Gerard J., 2006.
"Swedish Labor Market Training and the Duration of Unemployment,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2314, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richardson, Katarina & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2006. "Swedish Labour Market Training and the Duration of Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 5895, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:iab:iabmit:v:33:i:3:p:405-420 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richardson, Katarina & van den Berg, Gerard J, 2008. "Duration dependence versus unobserved heterogeneity in treatment effects: Swedish labor market training and the transition rate to employment," Working Paper Series 2008:7, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Rabe, Birgitta, 2000. "Wirkungen aktiver Arbeitsmarktpolitik: Evaluierungsergebnisse für Deutschland, Schweden, Dänemark und die Niederlande ; Gutachten im Auftrag des Bundeskanzleramtes für die Benchmarking-Gruppe des B," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment FS I 00-208, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.