Stochastic Technologies and the Adoption Decision
AbstractThis paper models stochastic technical change as a stochastic input. Dominance techniques are used to study the technology adoption decision, and the input and mean yield implications of adopting. Both complete change-over and portfolio mix situations are analyzed. The results are compared with the deterministic theory of adoption. Strong conclusions are drawn for DARA producers and two particular classes of yield transformation. Author Keywords: Complete adoption; Input use; Partial adoption; Stochastic yield; Technical change
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Iowa State University, Department of Economics in its series Staff General Research Papers with number 5162.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Development Economics, December 1997, vol. 54, pp. 437-453
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Appelbaum, Elie & Katz, Eliakim, 1986. "Measures of Risk Aversion and Comparative Statics of Industry Equilibrium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 524-29, June.
- Meyer, Jack & Ormiston, Michael B., 1983. "The comparative statics of cumulative distribution function changes for the class of risk averse agents," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 153-169, October.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Smale, Melinda & Heisey, Paul W & Leathers, Howard D, 1995. "Maize of the Ancestors and Modern Varieties: The Microeconomics of High-Yielding Variety Adoption in Malawi," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 351-68, January.
- Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1983. "Stochastic Structure, Farm Size and Technology Adoption in Developing Agriculture," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 307-28, July.
- Bera, Anil K. & Kelley, Timothy G., 1990. "Adoption of high yielding rice varieties in Bangladesh : An econometric analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 263-285, October.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Levy, Haim, 1994. "Absolute and Relative Risk Aversion: An Experimental Study," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 289-307, May.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ullah, Aman, 1974. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 537-48, May/June.
- Feder, Gershon, 1980. "Farm Size, Risk Aversion and the Adoption of New Technology under Uncertainty," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 263-83, July.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- J. Bartoszewicz, 1985. "Moment inequalities for order statistics from ordered families of distributions," Metrika, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 383-389, December.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Alauddin, Mohammad & Tisdell, Clem, 1988. "Impact of new agricultural technology on the instability of foodgrain production and yield : Data analysis for Bangladesh and its districts," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 199-227, September.
- Meyer, Jack & Ormiston, Michael B, 1989. " Deterministic Transformations of Random Variables and the Comparative Statics of Risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 179-88, June.
- Shively, Gerald E., 2001. "Poverty, consumption risk, and soil conservation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 267-290, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.