Uninsurable Risks: Uncertainty in Production, the Value of Information and Price Dispersion
AbstractThis article digresses over the interaction of uncertainty with the firm's optimal decisions in a simple framework: a standard price-taking (short-run restricted) single-input and output unit, subject to the interaction with a zero-mean Bernoulli lottery. The firm is always considered an expected profit-maximizing entity. We inspect the consequences of exogenous uncertainty on the optimal allocations and on its “mean-(and)variance” valuation position. On one hand, we contrast the effect of different sources of uncertainty on the producer's problem – input and output prices and quantities. On the other, we analyse the impact of ex-post flexibility of the decision variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 28 (2008)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Ana Paula Martins, 2007. "Uninsurable Risks: Uncertainty in Production, the Value of Information and Price Dispersion," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 8(2), pages 341-383, November.
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartman, Richard, 1976. "Factor Demand with Output Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 675-81, September.
- Carroll, Christopher D & Kimball, Miles S, 1996.
"On the Concavity of the Consumption Function,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 981-92, July.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Miles S. Kimball, 1995. "On the concavity of the consumption function," Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 95-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christopher D. Carroll & Miles S. Kimball, 1995. "On the Concavity of the Consumption Function," Macroeconomics, EconWPA 9503003, EconWPA.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J & Smith, Kenneth R, 1971. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Resource Allocation in a General Equilibrium Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 440-59, August.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
- Dionne, Georges, 1987. "Essays on Economic Decisions Under Uncertainty, par JACQUES H. DRÃˆZE. â€” Cambridge University Press, 1987, 424 p," L'ActualitÃ© Economique, SociÃ©tÃ© Canadienne de Science Economique, SociÃ©tÃ© Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 63(2), pages 282-289, juin et s.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1971. "Production with Uncertain Technology: Some Economic and Econometric Implications," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(1), pages 27-38, February.
- Hartman, Richard, 1975. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty: Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1289-90, December.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ullah, Aman, 1974. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 537-48, May/June.
- Phelps, Edmund S, 1972. "The Statistical Theory of Racism and Sexism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 659-61, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.