Uninsurable Risks: Uncertainty in Production, the Value of Information and Price Dispersion
AbstractThis article digresses over the interaction of uncertainty with the firm¡¯s optimal decisions in a simple framework: a standard price-taking (short-run restricted) single-input and output unit, subject to the interaction with a zeromean Bernoulli lottery of variable dispersion. The firm is always considered an expected profit-maximizing entity. We inspect the consequences of exogenous uncertainty on the optimal allocations and on its "mean-(and)variance" valuation position. On the one hand, we contrast the effect of different sources of uncertainty on the producer¡¯s problem¡ªinput and output prices and quantities. On the other, we analyse the impact of ex-post flexibility of the decision variables. Importance and role of measures of risk-aversion (of concavity and convexity) imbedded in the firms technology ¡ª either the production, marginal productivity or the cost function, ¡ª and potentially risk-enhancing or deterrent features of the latter in the transmission of exogenous uncertainty to the optimal profits¡¯ mean and volatility under the different scenarios are highlighted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for AEF in its journal Annals of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 8 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Uncertainty and Production; Uncertainty and Labor Demand; Firm¡¯s Valuation; Mean-Variance; Commitment under Uncertainty; Risk-aversion; Absolute Convexity; The Value of Information / Flexibility to a Firm; Statistical Discrimination;
Other versions of this item:
- Ana Paula Martins, 2008. "Uninsurable Risks: Uncertainty in Production, the Value of Information and Price Dispersion," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 28(8), pages A0.
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher D. Carroll & Miles S. Kimball, 1995.
"On the Concavity of the Consumption Function,"
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ullah, Aman, 1974. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 537-48, May/June.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J & Smith, Kenneth R, 1971. "The Effect of Uncertainty on Resource Allocation in a General Equilibrium Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 440-59, August.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Dionne, Georges, 1987. "Essays on Economic Decisions Under Uncertainty, par JACQUES H. DRÈZE. — Cambridge University Press, 1987, 424 p," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 63(2), pages 282-289, juin et s.
- Phelps, Edmund S, 1972. "The Statistical Theory of Racism and Sexism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 659-61, September.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1971. "Production with Uncertain Technology: Some Economic and Econometric Implications," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(1), pages 27-38, February.
- Hartman, Richard, 1975. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty: Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1289-90, December.
- Hartman, Richard, 1976. "Factor Demand with Output Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 675-81, September.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1971. "On the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 65-73, March.
- Gollier, Christian & Pratt, John W, 1996. "Risk Vulnerability and the Tempering Effect of Background Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1109-23, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.