Dynamic Regulation of Quality
AbstractWe investigate the design of incentives for quality provision in a dynamic regulation setting in which maintenance efforts and quality shocks have durable effects. When the regulator contracts with a sequence of agents, asymmetries of information can lead to overprovision of quality, reflecting a dynamic rent extraction motive. When the regulator hires a single agent to manage quality, over-provision of quality can also be used by the regulator to strengthen dynamic incentives. We further show that for small levels of asymmetric information, the regulator may prefer contracting with a sequence of agents rather than hiring a single agent if high quality shocks are relatively unfrequent, provided all parties can commit to a long-term contract. When no such commitment is feasible, the fact that quality physically links periods together leads to a ratchet effect even under recurring private information, and shorter franchises are beneficial from a social viewpoint.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse in its series IDEI Working Papers with number 397.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in The RAND Journal of Economics, vol.�42, n°2, Summer 2011, p.�246-265.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Stéphane Auray & Thomas Mariotti & Fabien Moizeau, 2008. "Dynamic Regulation of Quality," Cahiers de recherche 08-11, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- StÃ©phane Auray & Thomas Mariotti & Fabien Moizeau, 2011. "Dynamic regulation of quality," Working Papers 245736, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIC-2006-07-03 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2006-07-03 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laffont, J-J. & Tirole, J., 1989. "Provision Of Quality And Power Of Incentive Schemes In Regulated Industries," Working papers 528, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Susan Athey & Ilya Segal, 2007. "An Efficient Dynamic Mechanism," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000001134, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1990.
"Adverse Selection and Renegotiation in Procurement,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 597-625, October.
- Jean-Jacques LAFFONT & Jean TIROLE, 1990. "Adverse Selection and Renegotiation in Procurement," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9005, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean., 1988. "Adverse Selection and Renegotiation in Procurement," Working Papers 665, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1986.
"Using Cost Observation to Regulate Firms,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(3), pages 614-41, June.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1985.
"The Dynamics of Incentive Contracts,"
397, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Lassere, Pierre & Long, Ngo Van, 1995. "Optimal Resource Royalties with Unknown and Temporally Independent Extraction Cost Structures," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(3), pages 715-49, August.
- Lewis, Tracy R & Sappington, David E M, 1992. "Incentives for Conservation and Quality-Improvement by Public Utilities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1321-40, December.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, December.
- Rogerson, William P, 1985. "Repeated Moral Hazard," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 69-76, January.
- Alessandro Pavan & Ilya Segal & Juuso Toikka, 2009.
"Dynamic Mechanism Design: Incentive Compatibility, Profit Maximization and Information Disclosure,"
1501, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Alessandro Pavan & Ilya Segal & Juuso Toikka, 2008. "Dynamic Mechanism Design: Incentive Compatibility, Profit Maximization and Information Disclosure," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 84, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Dennis Gaertner, 2004. "Endogenizing Private Information: Incentive Contracts under Learning By Doing," SOI - Working Papers 0413, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Gerard-Varet, Louis-Andre, 1979.
"Incentives and incomplete information,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 25-45, February.
- Marco Battaglini, 2005.
"Long-Term Contracting with Markovian Consumers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 637-658, June.
- De Fraja, Gianni & Iozzi, Alberto, 2004. "Bigger and Better: A Dynamic Regulatory Mechanism for Optimum Quality," CEPR Discussion Papers 4502, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gérard Gaudet & Pierre Lasserre & Ngo Van Long, 1995.
"Dynamic Incentive Contracts with Uncorrelated Private Information and History Dependent Outcomes,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- GERARD Gaudet & PIERRE Lasserres & NGO VAN Long, 1996. "Dynamic Incentive Contracts With Uncorrelated Private Information And History-Dependent Outcomes," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 47(4), pages 321-334, December.
- Gérard Gaudet & Pierre Lasserre & Ngo Van Long, 1993. "Dynamic Incentive Contracts with Uncorrelated Private Information and History Dependent Outcomes," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 9302, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Freixas, Xavier & Guesnerie, Roger & Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Planning under Incomplete Information and the Ratchet Effect," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 173-91, April.
- Baron, David P. & Besanko, David, 1984. "Regulation and information in a continuing relationship," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 267-302.
- Saha, Souresh, 2014. "Firm's objective function and product and process R&D," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 484-494.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.