Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis
AbstractThe present paper traces the trends in the development of the Bulgarian banking system focusing on the dynamics of bank efficiency. Although the financial crisis in 1996-1997 and the following shift in monetary regime (introduction of Currency Board Arrangement) exerted significant influence on the development of the banking sector characteristics, the study covers only the period of 1999-2006 because of the lack of consistent available data prior to 1999. During the period analysed, the impact on bank efficiency of the following factors is studied: change in property, penetration of foreign commercial banks on the local banking market, competition, structure of bank assets and liabilities, central bank policy in regard to credit activity, etc. The limits of traditional accounting approaches to bank efficiency evaluation are discussed, as well as the implementation of non-parametric methods, in particular Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). Different specifications of DEA like the intermediation and operating approaches were applied to separate groups and sub-groups. The results show that: firstly, foreign banks perform better than domestic and state-owned banks because of the technological and managerial improvements; and secondly, large banks are more efficient than small banks due to decreasing operating costs and scale economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ICER - International Centre for Economic Research in its series ICER Working Papers with number 22-2008.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
DEA; bank efficiency; Bulgarian banking system; foreign banks;
Other versions of this item:
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008. "Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis," Working paper series 12008en, Agency for Economic Analysis and Forecasting.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2009-06-03 (Banking)
- NEP-EFF-2009-06-03 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-TRA-2009-06-03 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006.
"Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region,"
47, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region," MPRA Paper 10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Berlemann & Kalin Hristov & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2002. "Lending of Last Resort, Moral Hazard and Twin Crises: Lessons from the Bulgarian Financial Crisis 1996/1997," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 464, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002. "Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2850, The World Bank.
- Havrylchyk, Olena & Jurzyk, Emilia, 2006. "Profitability of foreign banks in Central and Eastern Europe: Does the entry mode matter?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 5/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2005. "Competition, Concentration, Efficiency, and their Relationship in the Polish Banking Sector," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 32, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Martin Ivanov & Gergana Mihaylova, 2008. "The Evolution of Bulgarian Banks' Efficiency During the Twenties: A Dea Approach," Working Papers 82, Bank of Greece.
- Kiril Tochkov & Nikolay Nenovsk, 2010. "Institutional Reforms, EU Accession, and Bank Efficiency: Evidence from Bulgaria," Working Papers 201005, Texas Christian University, Department of Economics.
- Kiril Tochkov & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2009. "Efficiency of commercial banks in Bulgaria in the wake of EU accession," ICER Working Papers 21-2009, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Evgeni Genchev, 2012. "Effects of market share on the bank’s profitability," Review of Applied Socio-Economic Research, Pro Global Science Association, vol. 3(1), pages 87-94, July.
- Katerina Voycheska, 2011. "Empirical Research on the Banking Efficiency in R. Macedonia," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 73-93.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessandra Calosso).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.