The Evolution of Bulgarian Banks' Efficiency During the Twenties: A Dea Approach
AbstractThis paper studies the dynamics of the bank efficiency in Bulgaria in the years 1923 and 1928. In the course of research several interdependencies were detected, related mainly to the reaction of different types of banks to the financial crisis and the financial stabilization. Official bank balance sheets were used as well as the profit and loss statements of 50 Bulgarian credit institutions. After their classification into subgroups different variations of DEA (data envelopment analysis), in particular the intermediation approach, were applied to the banks’ financial positions. The DEA overcomes several deficiencies in the traditional accounting measurement of bank efficiency, which has made it very popular in latest literature. To our knowledge this method has not been applied so far to historical data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Greece in its series Working Papers with number 82.
Length: 44 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2008
Date of revision:
Bulgarian monetary history; Banking system; Âanking efficiency; DEA modelling.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-10-07 (Banking)
- NEP-EFF-2008-10-07 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HIS-2008-10-07 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koetter, Michael & Karmann, Alexander & Fiorentino, Elisabetta, 2006. "The cost efficiency of German banks: a comparison of SFA and DEA," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Battilossi, Stefano, 2006.
"The Determinants of Multinational Banking during the First Globalization, 1870–1914,"
114, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Battilossi, Stefano, 2006. "The determinants of multinational banking during the first globalisation 1880 1914," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(03), pages 361-388, December.
- Stefano Battilossi, 2005. "The Determinants of Multinational Banking during the First Globalization, 1870-1914," Working Papers in Economic History wh056807, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Historia Económica e Instituciones.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002. "Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2850, The World Bank.
- Kalina Dimitrova & Nikolay Nenovsky, 2006. "Exchange Rate and Inflation: France and Bulgaria in the Interwar Period," ICER Working Papers 34-2006, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2005. "Competition, Concentration, Efficiency, and their Relationship in the Polish Banking Sector," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 32, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Roman Matoušek & Anita Taci, 2005.
"Efficiency in Banking: Empirical Evidence from the Czech Republic,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 225-244, 09.
- Roman Matoušek & Anita Taci, 2004. "Efficiency in Banking: Empirical Evidence from the Czech Republic," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 225-244, 09.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Elena Loukoianova, 2008. "Analysis of the Efficiency and Profitability of the Japanese Banking System," IMF Working Papers 08/63, International Monetary Fund.
- Villela, André & Briones, Ignacio, 2006. "European Banks and their Impact on the Banking Industry in Chile," Working Papers 108, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Elisa Luciano & Luca Regis, 2007. "Bank Efficiency and Banking Sector Development: the Case of Italy," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 5-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008.
"Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis,"
ICER Working Papers
22-2008, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008. "Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis," Working paper series 12008en, Agency for Economic Analysis and Forecasting.
- Yuksel Gormez, 2008. "Banking in Turkey: History and Evolution," Working Papers 83, Bank of Greece.
- Sophia Lazaretou, 2008. "Banking and Central Banking in Pre-WWII Grecce: Money and Currency Developments," Working Papers 86, Bank of Greece.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2011.
"Optimum currency areas, structural changes and the endogeneity of the OCA criteria: evidence from six new EU member states,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 195-206.
- Dimitrios Sideris, 2009. "Optimum Currency Areas Structural Changes and the Endogeneity of the OCA Criteria: Evidence from Six New EU Member States," Working Papers 99, Bank of Greece.
- Milan Sojic & Ljiljana Djurdjevic, 2008. "Monetary Policy Objectives and Istruments used by the Privileged National Bank of the Kingdom of Serbia (1884 - 1914)," Working Papers 87, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.