Empirical Research on the Banking Efficiency in R. Macedonia
AbstractAn empirical analysis was made of the efficiency of the Macedonian banking system between 2005 – 2009. It was measured under the method of Data Envelopment Approach (DEA), in order to compare the effectiveness of the banks, and to group them according to a relevant criterion. The key aspects are outlining the theoretical and empirical analysis criteria, the bank classification and monitoring the results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute in its journal Economic Thought.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Manthos D. Delis & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2008.
"Exploring the Nexus between Banking Sector Reform and Performance: Evidence from Newly Acceded EU Countries,"
73, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D. & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2008. "Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2674-2683, December.
- N. Papanikolaou & M. Delis & S. Brissimis, 2008. "Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries," DEOS Working Papers 0917, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2005. "Competition, Concentration, Efficiency, and their Relationship in the Polish Banking Sector," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 32, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005.
"Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2155-2178, August.
- Paul Wachtel & John Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan, 2004. "Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries," Working Papers 04-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004. "Privatization matters: Bank efficiency in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- John P. Bonin & Iftekhar Hasan & Paul Wachtel, 2004. "Privatization Matters: Bank Efficiency in Transition Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-679, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Elisa Luciano & Luca Regis, 2007. "Bank Efficiency and Banking Sector Development: the Case of Italy," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 5-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Fries, Steven & Taci, Anita, 2005. "Cost efficiency of banks in transition: Evidence from 289 banks in 15 post-communist countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-81, January.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008.
"Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Working paper series
12008en, Agency for Economic Analysis and Forecasting.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008. "Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis," ICER Working Papers 22-2008, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006.
"Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region,"
47, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region," MPRA Paper 10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," IMF Working Papers 02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002. "Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2850, The World Bank.
- Daniel StavÃ¡rek, 2006. "Banking Efficiency in the Context of European Integration," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(4), pages 5-31, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Igor Jemric & Boris Vujcic, 2002. "Efficiency of Banks in Croatia: A DEA Approach*," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(2-3), pages 169-193, September.
- Koetter, Michael & Karmann, Alexander & Fiorentino, Elisabetta, 2006. "The cost efficiency of German banks: a comparison of SFA and DEA," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Olena Havrylchyk & Emilia Jurzyk, 2011. "Profitability of foreign banks in Central and Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(3), pages 443-472, 07.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassil Zahariev).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.