Effects of market share on the bank’s profitability
AbstractThe relationship between market share and profitability is perhaps the most-studied single phenomenon in business policy. The purpose of this study is an attempt to explore the impact of various factors (such as market share, concentration ratio) on profitability measurements of banks in Bulgaria. The analysis is based on balanced panel data of 22 banks over the period 2006 to 2010. For the measurement of bank profitability using one of the most widely used indicators: return on equity (ROE) The main research hypothesis is that the leading banks (on market share) should achieve better profitability. The survey results show that the relationship between market share and profitability of banks is positive and statistically significant. Empirical results confirm that there was no statistically significant relationship between the concentration in the Bulgarian banking sector and its profitability. The estimation results suggest that the profitability of Bulgarian banks is influenced only by factors related to their management decisions and not by changes in the external macroeconomic environment. The findings of this study have several managerial implications. First, the bank can enlarge their market share to improve profitability. Second, bank managers should not worry about the degree of concentration in the industry. Analysis shows that it is management rather than concentration which affects bank profitability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pro Global Science Association in its journal Published in Review of Applied Socio-Economic Research.
Volume (Year): 3 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
market share; profitability; Bulgarian bank system; concentration ratio.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008.
"Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis,"
ICER Working Papers
22-2008, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008. "Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis," Working paper series 12008en, Agency for Economic Analysis and Forecasting.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Matthaios D., 2008.
"Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-136, April.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis & Matthaios D. Delis, 2005. "Bank-Specific, Industry-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Bank Profitability," Working Papers 25, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Brissimis, Sophocles & Delis, Matthaios, 2005. "Bank-specific, industry-specific and macroeconomic determinants of bank profitability," MPRA Paper 32026, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006.
"Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region,"
47, Bank of Greece.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006. "Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region," MPRA Paper 10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claeys, Sophie & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2008. "Determinants of bank interest margins in Central and Eastern Europe: A comparison with the West," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 197-216, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Manuela Epure).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.