Competition, Concentration, Efficiency, and their Relationship in the Polish Banking Sector
AbstractEuropean banking sectors have been subject to various forms of deregulation, liberalization, as well as dramatic improvements in information technology (IT). As the result of the creation of the European Union's Single Market, the financial institutions are transforming themselves in response to fundamental changes in regulation and technology. Many of these changes have vast implications for competition, concentration and the efficiency of the financial sectors. This paper examines the impact of increasing concentration and new technologies, linked with the mergers and acquisitions (M&A) process, on the degree of competition and technical efficiency of the Polish commercial banks. The goal of this paper is to check whether, during the analyzed period (1997- 2002), the concentration of the commercial banks had a negative impact on the competition in the Polish banking sector. In order to carry out a quantitative assessment of changes in the market structure and technical efficiency of the Polish banking sector, the study estimates competitive behavior in the Polish banking system by applying the method developed by Panzar and Rosse (1987). Moreover, this study assesses the technical efficiency and productivity in the Polish banking sector by applying the method of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). The empirical results, for the analyzed period of 1997-2002, have shown that in Poland there is monopolistic competition. It seems that foreign entry, connected with the M&A process, and rapid changes in IT in Polish commercial banks, is one of the reasons for the improving technical efficiency measures and productivity indices. It has also influenced the level of competition in the Polish banking sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute in its series National Bank of Poland Working Papers with number 32.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.nbp.pl/Homen.aspx?f=en/publikacje/materialy_i_studia/informacja_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Competition; Concentration; Efficiency; Panzar-Rosse model; DEA; Mergers and Acquisitions; Market Structure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olszak, Małgorzata & Świtała, Filip & Kowalska, Iwona, 2013. "Competition in commercial banks in Poland – analysis of Panzar-Rosse H-statistics," MPRA Paper 53782, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008.
"Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis,"
ICER Working Papers
22-2008, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Petar Chobanov & Gergana Mihaylova & Darina Koleva, 2008. "Efficiency of the Bulgarian Banking System: Traditional Approach and Data Envelopment Analysis," Working paper series 12008en, Agency for Economic Analysis and Forecasting.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & Martin Ivanov & Gergana Mihaylova, 2008. "The Evolution of Bulgarian Banks' Efficiency During the Twenties: A Dea Approach," Working Papers 82, Bank of Greece.
- Katerina Voycheska, 2011. "Empirical Research on the Banking Efficiency in R. Macedonia," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 73-93.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ewa Szymecka).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.