Estimation of the competitive conditions in the Czech banking sector
AbstractThe paper uses New Empirical Industrial Organization approach, especially Panzar Rosse model to estimates the level of competition of the banking industry in the Czech Republic during the period 2001–2009. We apply Panzar-Rosse model to estimate H statistic for a panel of 15 banks, which represent almost 90 % of the market. This paper also measures and compares the degree of banking competition in two sub-periods, 2001–2005 and 2005–2009, in order to investigate development of the competitive structure of the Czech banking industry. We found that the market was in equilibrium during most of the estimation period, which is a necessary condition for sound evaluation of the competition level. While the market can be described as perfectly competitive in 2001–2005, the intensity of competition decreased after joining the EU in 2004 and the market can be characterized as one of monopolistic competition in 2005–2009. The monopolistic competition in the Czech banking market was also revealed if the full sample 2001–2009 is considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 30720.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis 2.59(2011): pp. 299-305
Panzar-Rosse model; competition; banking sector; Czech Republic;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-05-14 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2011-05-14 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-TRA-2011-05-14 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christos K. Staikouras & Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Fillipaki, 2006. "Competition and Concentration in the New European Banking Landscape," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 12(3), pages 443-482.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Anca Pruteanu-Podpiera & Laurent Weill & Franziska Schobert, 2008. "Banking Competition and Efficiency: A Micro-Data Analysis on the Czech Banking Industry," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 50(2), pages 253-273, June.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000.
"Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry,"
Research Series Supervision (discontinued)
30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001. "Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Shrimal Perera & Michael Skully & J. Wickramanayake, 2006. "Competition and structure of South Asian banking: a revenue behaviour approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(11), pages 789-801.
- Iwata, Gyoichi, 1974. "Measurement of Conjectural Variations in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 947-66, September.
- Luis Gutiérrez de Rozas, 2007. "Testing for competition in the Spanish banking industry: The Panzar-Rosse approach revisited," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0726, Banco de Espa�a.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2006. "Bank Competition, Concentration And Efficiency In The Single European Market," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 441-468, 07.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009.
"Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium,"
CAMA Working Papers
2009-27, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2012. "Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 1025-1044, November.
- Jacob Bikker & Sherrill Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009. "Assessing Competition with the Panzar-Rosse Model: The Role of Scale, Costs, and Equilibrium," DNB Working Papers 225, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- J.A. Bikker & Sherril Shaffer & Laura Spierdijk, 2009. "Assessing competition with the Panzar-Rosse model: the role of scale, costs, and equilibrium," Working Papers 09-27, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Jacob Bikker & Laura Spierdijk, 2008.
"How Banking competition Changed over Time,"
DNB Working Papers
167, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Gaston Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002.
"Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems,"
IMF Working Papers
02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004. "Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Measures of competition and concentration in the banking industry: a review of the literature," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 27, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Semih Yildirim & George C. Philippatos, 2003. "Competition And Contestability In Central And Eastern European Banking Markets," Finance 0310004, EconWPA.
- MinHwan Lee & Mamoru Nagano, 2008. "Market Competition Before And After Bank Merger Wave: A Comparative Study Of Korea And Japan," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 604-619, December.
- Rezitis, Anthony N., 2010. "Evaluating the state of competition of the Greek banking industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 68-90, February.
- Hempell, Hannah S., 2002. "Testing for Competition Among German Banks," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,04, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Anca Pruteanu-Podpiera & Franziska Schobert & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Banking competition and cost efficiency: a micro-data analysis on the Czech banking industry," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14307, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- J.A. Bikker & Laura Spierdijk & P. Finnie, 2007. "The impact of market structure, contestability and institutional environment on banking competition," Working Papers 07-29, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Olszak, Małgorzata & Świtała, Filip & Kowalska, Iwona, 2013. "Competition in commercial banks in Poland – analysis of Panzar-Rosse H-statistics," MPRA Paper 53782, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.