Minor Nuisance Around Foreign Exchange Markets - Lessons from the Stability and Growth Pact Debate
AbstractThis paper studies the impact of political events that systematically undermined the Stability and Growth Pact (SGP) on the euro's foreign exchange expectation bias for the period 2001 to 2005. Our findings suggest that euro foreign exchange markets were attentive to the political dispute over the enforcement of the SGP's rules. The results indicate that foreign exchange markets anticipated the gradual demise of the SGP. 1) For the expectation bias in euro foreign exchange markets we do not find systematic level effects. 2) Since volatility decreases following "destabilising" political events, we conclude that already in the early years of the SGP regime the demise of the original Pact was anticipated by foreign exchange market participants. The conclusion is that a politicised multilateral fiscal rule does not improve market discipline, which could be a crucial argument against the new "European Fiscal Compact".
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena in its series Global Financial Markets Working Paper Series with number 2012-32.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.gfinm.de
fiscal rules; market discipline; FX markets; GARCH;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2012-12-06 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2012-12-06 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-POL-2012-12-06 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baillie, Richard T. & Osterberg, William P., 2000. "Deviations from daily uncovered interest rate parity and the role of intervention," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 363-379, December.
- Hodrick, Robert J., 1989.
"Risk, uncertainty, and exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 433-459, May.
- Michel Beine & Oscar Bernal Diaz & Jean-Yves Gnabo & Christelle Lecourt, 2006.
"Intervention policy of the BoJ: a unified approach,"
DULBEA Working Papers
06-15.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beine, Michel & Bernal, Oscar & Gnabo, Jean-Yves & Lecourt, Christelle, 2009. "Intervention policy of the BoJ: A unified approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 904-913, May.
- Michel Beine & Oscar Bernal & Jean-Yves Gnabo & Christelle Lecourt, 2007. "Intervention Policy of the BoJ: A Unified Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1894, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michel Beine & Oscar Bernal Diaz & Jean-Yves Gnabo & Christelle Lecourt, 2007. "Intervention Policy of the BoJ: a Unified Approach," Working Papers CEB 07-013.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Michel Beine & Oscar Bernal & Jean-Yves Gnabo & Christelle Lecourt, 2007. "Intervention Policy of the BoJ: a Unified Approach," LSF Research Working Paper Series 07-19, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael Hutchison, 2002.
"ECB Foreign Exchange Intervention and the EURO: Institutional Framework, News, and Intervention,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 413-425, October.
- Rasmus Fatum & Michael M. Hutchison, . "ECB Foreign Exchange Intervention and the Euro: Institutional Framework, News and Intervention," EPRU Working Paper Series 02-10, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Mussa, Michael L, 1980. "The Efficiency of Foreign Exchange Markets and Measures of Turbulence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 374-81, May.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Hagen, Jürgen von & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2006.
"Sovereign Risk Premiums in the European Government Bond Market,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
151, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & von Hagen, Jürgen & Schuknecht, Ludger, 2012. "Sovereign risk premiums in the European government bond market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 975-995.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Prast, Henriette M. & de Vor, Marc P. H., 2005. "Investor reactions to news: a cognitive dissonance analysis of the euro-dollar exchange rate," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 115-141, March.
- A. Craig MacKinlay, 1997. "Event Studies in Economics and Finance," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 13-39, March.
- Giuliodori, Massimo & Beetsma, Roel, 2008.
"On the relationship between fiscal plans in the European Union: An empirical analysis based on real-time data,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 221-242, June.
- Beetsma, Roel & Giuliodori, Massimo, 2007. "On the Relationship between Fiscal Plans in the European Union: An Empirical Analysis Based on Real-Time Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6088, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heppke-Falk, Kirsten H. & Hüfner, Felix P., 2004. "Expected budget deficits and interest rate swap spreads - Evidence for France, Germany and Italy," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,40, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Almeida, Alvaro & Goodhart, Charles & Payne, Richard, 1998.
"The Effects of Macroeconomic News on High Frequency Exchange Rate Behavior,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 383-408, September.
- Alvaro Almeida & Richard Payne & Charles Goodhart, 1997. "The Effects of Macroeconomic News on High Frequency Exchange Rate Behaviour," FMG Discussion Papers dp258, Financial Markets Group.
- David-Jan Jansen & Jakob de Haan, 2005.
"Were Verbal Efforts to Support the Euro Effective? A High-Frequency Analysis of ECB Statements,"
DNB Working Papers
033, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jansen, David-Jan & de Haan, Jakob, 2007. "Were verbal efforts to support the euro effective? A high-frequency analysis of ECB statements," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 245-259, March.
- Xavier Debrun & Laurent Moulin & Alessandro Turrini & Joaquim Ayuso-i-Casals & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2008. "Tied to the mast? National fiscal rules in the European Union," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 23, pages 297-362, 04.
- George Kopits & Steven A. Symansky, 1998. "Fiscal Policy Rules," IMF Occasional Papers 162, International Monetary Fund.
- Roman Goldbach & Christian Fahrholz, 2011. "The euro area's common default risk: Evidence on the Commission's impact on European fiscal affairs," European Union Politics, , vol. 12(4), pages 507-528, December.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Rosa, Carlo, 2011. "The high-frequency response of exchange rates to monetary policy actions and statements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 478-489, February.
- Jansen, David-Jan & De Haan, Jakob, 2005. "Talking heads: the effects of ECB statements on the euro-dollar exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 343-361, March.
- Jakob de Haan & Helge Berger & David-Jan Jansen, 2003.
"The End of the Stability and Growth Pact?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1093, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Fahrholz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.