The Internationalisation of Hong Kong Dollar: An Analytical Framework
AbstractThis paper models the macroeconomic impact from the "internationalisation" of Hong Kong Dollar under the fixed and floating exchange rate regimes. A three-region model, the Centre, the Periphery and the Rest-of-the-World, is constructed. The present paper finds that, under floating exchange rates, foreign circulation of home currency increases the volatility of the home exchange rates. Under a fixed exchange rate, however, other than a more volatile level of reserves, foreign circulation has no macro impact on the home economy. This paper also finds that a broader global demand for home asset narrows the gap between domestic and foreign interest rates, which can subsequently lower the likelihood of self-fulfilling currency crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research in its series Working Papers with number 012001.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 55th Floor , Two International Finance Centre , 8 Finance Street , Central, Hong Kong
Phone: (852)2878 1978
Fax: (852)2878 7006
Web page: http://www.hkimr.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 263-286, November.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983.
"Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983. "Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996.
"Models of Currency Crises with Self-fulfilling Features,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
1315, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1996. "Models of currency crises with self-fulfilling features," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1037-1047, April.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1995. "Models of Currency Crises with Self-Fulfilling Features," NBER Working Papers 5285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, P., 1993. "What Do We Need to Know About the International Monetary System?," Princeton Studies in International Economics, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University, 190, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Brian M. Doyle, 2000. ""Here, dollars, dollars ..."estimating currency demand and worldwide currency substitution," International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 657, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Russell C. Krueger & Jiming Ha, 1995. "Measurement of Co-Circulation of Currencies," IMF Working Papers 95/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard D. Porter & Ruth A. Judson, 1996. "The location of U.S. currency: how much is abroad?," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Oct, pages 883-903.
- Bensaid, Bernard & Jeanne, Olivier, 1997.
"The instability of fixed exchange rate systems when raising the nominal interest rate is costly,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 41(8), pages 1461-1478, August.
- Bensaid, B.B. & Jeanne, O., 1995. "The Instability of Fixed Exchange Rate Systems when Raising the Nominal Interest Rate is Costly," Papers, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research 9536, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Case M. Sprenkle, 1993. "The Case of the Missing Currency," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 7(4), pages 175-184, Fall.
- Yusuru Ozeki & George S. Tavlas, 1992. "The Internationalization of Currencies," IMF Occasional Papers 90, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HKIMR).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.