The (implicit) cost of equity trading at the Oslo Stock Exchange. What does the data tell us?
AbstractWe empirically investigate the costs of trading equity at the Oslo Stock Exchange in the period 1980--2008. We show the time series evolution of different measures of (implicit) trading costs: bid/ask spreads, the Roll(1984) measure and the Lesmond et al (1999) measure. We find a clear time variation in these measures, with estimated trading costs much lower in the late eighties and nineties than in the early nineties and just after 2000. The cost of trading has sunk in recent years, but not dramatically compared to earlier periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Stavanger in its series UiS Working Papers in Economics and Finance with number 2009/17.
Length: 14 pages
Date of creation: 09 Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Market Microstructure; Trading costs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald B. Keim & Ananth Madhavan, .
"The Cost of Institutional Equity Trades,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
08-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Donald B. Keim & Ananth Madhavan, . "The Cost of Institutional Equity Trades," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 8-98, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Randi Næs & Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Bernt Arne Ødegaard, 2008. "Liquidity at the Oslo Stock Exchange," Working Paper 2008/09, Norges Bank.
- Randi Næs & Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Bernt Arne Ødegard, 2008.
"Liquidity and the business cycle,"
2008/11, Norges Bank.
- Lesmond, David A & Ogden, Joseph P & Trzcinka, Charles A, 1999. "A New Estimate of Transaction Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1113-41.
- repec:fth:pennfi:68 is not listed on IDEAS
- Naes, Randi & Odegaard, Bernt Arne, 2006. "Equity trading by institutional investors: To cross or not to cross?," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 79-99, May.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1990. " Statistical Properties of the Roll Serial Covariance Bid/Ask Spread Estimator," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 579-90, June.
- Harris, Larry, 2002. "Trading and Exchanges: Market Microstructure for Practitioners," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195144703.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernt Arne Odegaard).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.