Block Kalman filtering for large-scale DSGE models
AbstractIn this paper block Kalman filters for Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium models are presented and evaluated. Our approach is based on the simple idea of writing down the Kalman filter recursions on block form and appropriately sequencing the operations of the prediction step of the algorithm. It is argued that block filtering is the only viable serial algorithmic approach to significantly reduce Kalman filtering time in the context of large DSGE models. For the largest model we evaluate the block filter reduces the computation time by roughly a factor 2. Block filtering compares favourably with the more general method for faster Kalman filtering outlined by Koopman and Durbin (2000) and, furthermore, the two approaches are largely complementary
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden) in its series Working Paper Series with number 224.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Kalman filter; DSGE model; Bayesian estimation; Computational speed; Algorithm; Fortran; Matlab;
Other versions of this item:
- Ingvar Strid & Karl Walentin, 2009. "Block Kalman Filtering for Large-Scale DSGE Models," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 33(3), pages 277-304, April.
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2008-07-14 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-ECM-2008-07-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-07-14 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2008-07-14 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adolfson, Malin & Laséen, Stefan & Lindé, Jesper & Villani, Mattias, 2005.
"Bayesian Estimation of an Open Economy DSGE Model with Incomplete Pass-Through,"
Working Paper Series
179, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Adolfson, Malin & Laseen, Stefan & Linde, Jesper & Villani, Mattias, 2007. "Bayesian estimation of an open economy DSGE model with incomplete pass-through," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 481-511, July.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Durbin, J., 1998. "Fast Filtering and Smoothing for Multivariate State Space Models," Discussion Paper 1998-18, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ivano Azzini & Riccardo Girardi & Marco Ratto, 2007. "Parallelization of Matlab codes under Windows platform for Bayesian estimation: A Dynare application," Working Papers 1, Euro-area Economy Modelling Centre.
- Edward P. Herbst, 2012. "Using the "Chandrasekhar Recursions" for likelihood evaluation of DSGE models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2012-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Strid, Ingvar, 2008. "Metropolis-Hastings prefetching algorithms," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 706, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 02 Dec 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Löfgren).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.