How Important are Financial Frictions in the U.S. and the Euro Area?
AbstractThis paper aims to evaluate if frictions in credit markets are important for business cycles in the U.S. and the Euro area. For this purpose, I modify the DSGE financial accelerator model developed by Bernanke, Gertler and Gilchrist (1999) by adding frictions such as price indexation to past inflation, sticky wages, consumption habits and variable capital utilization. When I estimate the model with Bayesian methods, I find that financial frictions are relevant in both areas. According to the posterior odds ratio, the data clearly favors the model with financial frictions both in the U.S. and the Euro area. Moreover, consistent with common perceptions, financial frictions are larger in the Euro area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden) in its series Working Paper Series with number 223.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 01 May 2008
Date of revision:
Financial frictions; DSGE models; Bayesian estimation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E40 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - General
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-06-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-06-21 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DGE-2008-06-21 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-EEC-2008-06-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2008-06-21 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thepthida Sopraseuth & Eleni Iliopulos, 2012.
"L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : le défi de la crise,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 451(1), pages 91-130.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2012. "L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : Le défi de la crise," Working Papers halshs-00744047, HAL.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, . "L’intermédiation financière dans l’analyse macroéconomique : Le défi de la crise," Papers 2012-02, TEPP Working Papers.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2011. "L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : le défi de la crise," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 11046, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Eleni Iliopulos & Thepthida Sopraseuth, 2011. "L'intermédiation financière dans l'analyse macroéconomique : Le défi de la crise," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00613188, HAL.
- Ralf R. Meisenzahl, 2011. "Verifying the state of financing constraints: evidence from U.S. business credit contracts," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-04, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- J. A. Carrillo & C. Poilly, 2012.
"How do financial frictions affect the spending multiplier during a liquidity trap?,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
12/779, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Julio Carrillo & Celine Poilly, 2013. "How do financial frictions affect the spending multiplier during a liquidity trap?," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(2), pages 296-311, April.
- Julio A. CARRILLO & Celine POILLY, 2010. "On the Recovery Path during a Liquidity Trap: Do Financial Frictions Matter for Fiscal Multipliers?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2010034, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Ichiro Fukunaga & Masashi Saito, 2009.
"Asset Prices and Monetary Policy,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 27(1), pages 143-170, November.
- Merola, Rossana, 2010. "Optimal monetary policy in a small open economy with financial frictions," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Carrillo Julio A. & Poilly Céline, 2010. "Investigating the Zero Lower Bound on the Nominal Interest Rate under Financial Instability," Research Memoranda 019, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Rossana Merola, 2013. "The role of financial frictions in the 2007-2008 crisis: an estimated DSGE model," Working Papers 2013/08, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Löfgren).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.