Entry into Local Retail Food Markets in Sweden: A Real-Options Approach
AbstractA real-options approach was used, incorporating uncertainty and irreversibility of investments, to study the number of stores entering the Swedish retail food market during the period 1994-2002. It was found that uncertainty affected the entry-decision. Entry was less frequent in highly concentrated local retail food-markets characterized by a high degree of uncertainty, whereas higher profit opportunities seem to have increased the probability of entry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 170.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 17 May 2005
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, 2010, pages 373-387.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Real options; uncertainty; retail food; entry; negative binomial regression;
Other versions of this item:
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Orth, Matilda & Rudholm, Niklas, 2007. "Entry into Local Retail Food Markets in Sweden: A Real-Options Approach," HUI Working Papers 1, HUI Research.
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-05-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-05-23 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENT-2005-05-23 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-URE-2005-05-23 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fritsch, Michael & Falck, Oliver, 2002.
"New firm formation by industry over space and time: a multi-level analysis for Germany,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa02p486, European Regional Science Association.
- Fritsch, Michael & Falck, Oliver, . "New firm formation by industry over space and time: a multi-level analysis for Germany," Chapters in Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Sven-olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm & Fredrik Bergström, 2006.
"Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 213-225, November.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2005. "Entry into Swedish Retail and Wholesale Trade Markets," HUI Working Papers 2, HUI Research.
- Daunfeldt , Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas & Bergström, Fredrik, 2002. "Entry into Swedish Retail- and Wholesale Trade Markets," UmeÃ¥ Economic Studies 599, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Asplund, Marcus & Friberg, Richard, 2002. " Food Prices and Market Structure in Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(4), pages 547-66, December.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- de Juan, Rebeca, 2003. "The independent submarkets model: an application to the Spanish retail banking market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1461-1487, December.
- Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Niklas Rudholm, 2009.
"Revenues as a proxy for profits: a cautionary note,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(7), pages 679-681.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas, 2006. "Revenues as a Proxy for Profits: A Cautionary Note," HUI Working Papers 5, HUI Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Andersson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.