Food Prices and Market Structure in Sweden
AbstractThis paper examines retail grocery price levels across a large panel of stores in Sweden. We explain price variation across stores by market structure variables to capture differences in competition intensity and a number of store and region-specific factors. Most of the explained variation in prices can be attributed to store-specific factors such as size and chain affiliation. Overall, the relation between market structure variables and food prices is weak, and effects are small in percentage terms. Nevertheless, higher local concentration of stores, higher regional wholesaler concentration and a lower market share of large stores are all correlated with higher prices. Copyright 2002 by The editors of the Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Scandinavian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 104 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1467-9442
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabriele Galati & William R. Melick, 2006. "The evolving inflation process: an overview," BIS Working Papers 196, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jiri Podpiera & Marie Rakova, 2008.
"The Price Effects of an Emerging Retail Market,"
Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department
2008/6, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle & StÃƒÂ©phane Turolla & Sofia Villas-Boas, 2013.
"The impact of retail mergers on food prices: evidence from France,"
181943, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle & StÃ©phane Turolla & Sofia B. Villas-Boas, 2013. "The Impact of Retail Mergers on Food Prices : Evidence from France," Working Papers, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique 2013-18, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Marie-Laure Allain & Claire Chambolle & StÃ©phane Turolla & Sofia Villas-Boas, 2013. "The Impact of Retail Mergers on Food Prices: Evidence from France," Working Papers hal-00920460, HAL.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2012.
"Productivity Dynamics and the Role of â€œBig-Boxâ€ Entrants in Retailing,"
Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics
898, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Maican, Florin & Orth, Matilda, 2008. "Productivity Dynamics and the Role of “Big-Box” Entrants in Retailing," Working Papers in Economics 328, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Barros, Pedro Pita & Brito, Duarte & de Lucena, Diogo, 2006. "Mergers in the food retailing sector: An empirical investigation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 447-468, February.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Orth, Matilda & Rudholm, Niklas, 2007.
"Entry into Local Retail Food Markets in Sweden: A Real-Options Approach,"
HUI Working Papers, HUI Research
1, HUI Research.
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Orth, Matilda & Rudholm, Niklas, 2005. "Entry into Local Retail Food Markets in Sweden: A Real-Options Approach," Working Papers in Economics 170, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- StÃ©phane Turolla, 2012. "Spatial competition in the French supermarket industry," Working Papers SMART - LERECO, INRA UMR SMART 12-01, INRA UMR SMART.
- Luis Orea, 2010. "The effect of legal barriers to entry in the Spanish retail market: a local market approach," Hacienda PÃºblica EspaÃ±ola, IEF, IEF, vol. 193(2), pages 49-74, June.
- Loreto Lira & Magdalena Ugarte & Rodrigo Vergara., 2008.
"Prices and Market Structure: An Empirical Analysis of the Supermarket Industry in Chile,"
Documentos de Trabajo, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad CatÃ³lica de Chile.
346, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad CatÃ³lica de Chile..
- Loreto Lira & Magdalena Ugarte & Rodrigo Vergara, 2012. "Prices and market structure: an empirical analysis of the supermarket industry in Chile," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(36), pages 4731-4744, December.
- Eliana Viviano & Luciana Aimone Gigio & Emanuela Ciapanna & Daniele Coin & Fabrizio Colonna & Federica Lagna & Raffaele Santioni, 2012. "The retail trade sector and the food industry in Italy," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 119, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.