The disconnect between indicators of sustainability and human development
AbstractThis paper presents an initial review of the theoretical and measurement discussions of sustainability and its relation to human development. As we show in this paper, there is an overall consensus about the importance of sustaining development and well-being over time, but in reality different development paradigms lead to different definitions and measures of sustainability. We review some of those measures, among which the Adjusted Net Savings (a green national accounting measure calculated by the World Bank and rooted in a weak concept of sustainability), the Ecological Footprint (calculated by the Global Footprint Network and rooted in a strong concept of sustainability, where environment is considered a critical resource), and the carbon dioxide emissions (a simple environmental indicator, used in international debate of climate change). Our analysis shows conflicting conclusions when studying the correlations between these indicators of sustainability and existing human development indicators, namely HDI, which emphasizes the need for further analysis to understand what “sustainable human development” means. Nevertheless, as we show here, over time there has been a close link between higher economic performance and energy consumption, which has been mostly based in the use of fossil fuels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in its series Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) with number HDRP-2010-34.
Length: 61 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as background research for the 2010 Human Development Report.
sustainability; human development; measurement; energy.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- Q59 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2010-11-13 (Development)
- NEP-ENE-2010-11-13 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-11-13 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-HAP-2010-11-13 (Economics of Happiness)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rui Fragoso & Vladimir Bushenkov & Carlos Marques, 2012. "Integrated Water Management Using Feasible Goals Method and Interactive Decision Maps: The Case of Odivelas Irrigation," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_07, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Alfredo Pereira & Jorge Andraz, 2012.
"On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment: A survey of the international evidence,"
CEFAGE-UE Working Papers
2012_10, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2013. "On the economic effects of public infrastructure investment:A survey of the international evidence," Working Papers 108, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary.
- Anabela Schinck & Soumodip Sarkar, 2012. "Financial Bootstrapping: a critical entrepreneurship skill," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_20, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Paulo Ferreira & Andreia Dionísio, 2012. "An application of General Maximum Entropy to Utility," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_18, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- M.ª Maurícia Rosado & Carlos Marques & Rui Fragoso, 2012. "Environmental Evaluation and Benchmarking of Traditional Mediterranean Crop Farming System of Dryland Agriculture in the Alentejo Region of Portugal," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_14, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Maria Jeus & Pedro Henriques & Pedro Laranjeira & Vanda Narciso & Maria Leonor da Silva Carvalho, 2012. "The impact of shifting cultivation in the forestry ecosystems of Timor-Leste," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_16, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Soumodip Sarkar, 2012. "Message in a bottle: process innovations in the cork stopper fightback," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_12, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Jorge Casas Novas & António Sousa & Maria do Céu Alves, 2012. "On the Relations Between Management Accounting Systems and Intellectual Capital. Evidence for Portuguese Companies," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_13, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Jorge Andraz & Nélia Norte, 2012. "Structural Breaks and Volatility of Gross Domestic Product: Evidence for Portugal," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_09, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Victor Mendes Santos, 2012. "The investor in warrants," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_19, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Elsa Vaz & José Belbute & António Caleiro & Gertrudes Guerreiro & Ana Eduardo, 2012. "Comparative Analysis of Regional Input-Output Matrices: the Portuguese case," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_08, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- David Mayer-Foulkes, 2011. "A Causal Panorama of Cross-Country Human Development," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_049, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Gertrudes S. Guerreiro, 2012. "Regional Income Convergence in Portugal (1991-2002)," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_17, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Paulo R. Silva & Elisabete G.S. Félix, 2012. "Challenges of the Information Economy: Asymmetry of Information in the Information Society," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_15, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Rui Fragoso, 2012. "Sustainable Development and Guidance for Entrepreneurship in Unfavoured Regions: The Case of the Alentejo Region," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_21, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Rita Silva & Alexandra Ferreira Lopes, 2012. "A Regional Human Development Index for Portugal," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2012_05, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (HDRO/UNDP).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.