Message in a bottle: process innovations in the cork stopper fightback
AbstractThe simple cork provides a fascinating illustration of an industry that has survived and dominated for over five centuries as the only stopper of choice. This dominance is now however under serious threat from alterative stoppers namely synthetic and aluminium screw caps. This paper analyzes how the cork stopper industry is attempting to resolve the problems of technical efficiency arising from the contamination by TCA and other volatiles. We use the case of Amorim and Irmãos S.A., the single largest cork stopper manufacturer in the world with over one-fourth of the global market share, analyzing it’s process innovations in the battle against contamination. The success of these process innovations could well prove crucial for the entire cork industry not only to stem the rise of alternative stoppers but also in recapturing some of the lost market share.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2012_12.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
process innovation; disruptive innovation; cork industry; stoppers.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sagar, Ambuj D. & Najam, Adil, 1998. "The human development index: a critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Neumayer, Eric, 2001. "The human development index and sustainability -- a constructive proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 101-114, October.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, .
"Human Development and Regional Disparities in Iran:A Policy Model,"
2001_1, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- F. Noorbakhsh, 2002. "Human development and regional disparities in Iran: a policy model," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 927-949.
- Ricardo Fuentes-Nieva & Isabel Pereira, 2010. "The disconnect between indicators of sustainability and human development," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-34, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Carmen Herrero & Ricardo Martínez & Antonio Villar, 2010. "Improving the Measurement of Human Development," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-12, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Good and bad growth: The human development reports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 631-638, May.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "Human Development and Regional Disparities in India," Working Papers 2003_12, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Mark McGillivray & Howard White, 1993. "Measuring development? The UNDP's human development index," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 183-192, 03.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 2005. "Spatial Inequality, Polarization and its Dimensions in Iran: New Empirical Evidence," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3-4), pages 473-491.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.