Sustainable Development and Guidance for Entrepreneurship in Unfavoured Regions: The Case of the Alentejo Region
AbstractThe unfavoured Portuguese regions have a level of life and economic growth rates lower than favoured regions, and the mean of European Union and hence have less entrepreneurial activities. The adoption of strategies of sustainable development driven by entrepreneurship phenomena could be a viable solution. Thus, the likely relationships between entrepreneurship and regional features were described, and sources of entrepreneurship opportunities for strategies based on the own regional resources and competitive advantages were identified. The paper concludes that for the Alentejo region region, some habitat variables should be reinforced for promoting entrepreneurship and sustainable development, and the main opportunities are related to the economic activities that belong to the regional productive profile of specialization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2012_21.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Entrepreneurship; Sustainable development; strategic positioning; habitat variables.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M1 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- M2 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics
- M20 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-09-09 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2012-09-09 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- F. Noorbakhsh, 2002.
"Human development and regional disparities in Iran: a policy model,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(7), pages 927-949.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "Human Development and Regional Disparities in Iran:A Policy Model," Working Papers 2001_1, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 2005. "Spatial Inequality, Polarization and its Dimensions in Iran: New Empirical Evidence," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(3-4), pages 473-491.
- Sagar, Ambuj D. & Najam, Adil, 1998. "The human development index: a critical review," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 249-264, June.
- Carmen Herrero & Ricardo Martínez & Antonio Villar, 2010. "Improving the Measurement of Human Development," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-12, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Ravallion, Martin, 1997. "Good and bad growth: The human development reports," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 631-638, May.
- Ricardo Fuentes-Nieva & Isabel Pereira, 2010. "The disconnect between indicators of sustainability and human development," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-34, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Mark McGillivray & Howard White, 1993. "Measuring development? The UNDP's human development index," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(2), pages 183-192, 03.
- Neumayer, Eric, 2001. "The human development index and sustainability -- a constructive proposal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 101-114, October.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, 1998. "The human development index: some technical issues and alternative indices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 589-605.
- Farhad Noorbakhsh, . "Human Development and Regional Disparities in India," Working Papers 2003_12, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.