Scheduling resource-constrained projects with a flexible project structure
AbstractIn projects with a flexible project structure, the activities that have to be scheduled are not completely known beforehand. Instead, scheduling such a project includes the decision whether to carry out particular activities at all. This also effects precedence constraints between the finally implemented activities. However, established model formulations and solution approaches for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem (RCPSP) assume that the project structure is given in advance. In this paper, the traditional RCPSP is hence extended by a highly general model-endogenous decision on this flexible project structure. This is illustrated by the example of the aircraft turnaround process at airports. We present a genetic algorithm to solve this type of scheduling problem and evaluate it in an extensive numerical study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät in its series Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) with number dp-511.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Project scheduling; Genetic algorithms; RCPSP; Flexible projects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-03-16 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2013-03-16 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kolisch, Rainer & Padman, R., 2001. "An integrated survey of deterministic project scheduling," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 8114, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Klein, Robert, 2000. "Scheduling of resource constrained projects," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 1592, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- Kolisch, Rainer, 1996. "Serial and parallel resource-constrained project scheduling methods revisited: Theory and computation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 320-333, April.
- A. Alan B. Pritsker & Lawrence J. Waiters & Philip M. Wolfe, 1969. "Multiproject Scheduling with Limited Resources: A Zero-One Programming Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 93-108, September.
- Hartmann, Sönke & Briskorn, Dirk, 2010. "A survey of variants and extensions of the resource-constrained project scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(1), pages 1-14, November.
- Tiwari, Vikram & Patterson, James H. & Mabert, Vincent A., 2009. "Scheduling projects with heterogeneous resources to meet time and quality objectives," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(3), pages 780-790, March.
- Rainer Kolisch & Arno Sprecher & Andreas Drexl, 1995. "Characterization and Generation of a General Class of Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1693-1703, October.
- Čapek, R. & Šůcha, P. & Hanzálek, Z., 2012. "Production scheduling with alternative process plans," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 300-311.
- Kolisch, R. & Padman, R., 2001. "An integrated survey of deterministic project scheduling," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 249-272, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Heidrich, Christian).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.