Development and biodiversity conservation in Sub-Saharan Africa: A spatial analysis
AbstractA better understanding of the relationship between economic development and biodiversity loss is of great relevance, given the current rapid extinction of species along with challenges born from the context of economic development in poor countries. The purpose of the current study is to provide a sound analysis, within the framework of an Environmental Kuznets Curve, of the relationship between economic development and pressure on biodiversity. Drawing on the most up-to-date data on threatened species from 48 sub-Saharan African countries, we used Maximum-likelihood and generalized spatial two-stage least-squares estimators to account for spatial-autoregressiveness in the dependent variable, as well as in the explanatory variables and in the disturbances of the models. We find evidence that supports an inverted U-shaped relationship between development and biodiversity imperilment, measured as the percent of threatened bird species. The results also reveal some species-level differences in the biodiversity-development relationship, since the Environmental Kuznets Curve hypothesis doesn't hold for mammals. This analysis contributes to the literature by partially challenging the paradigm of a strictly negative relationship between biodiversity and development in a developing countries context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Working Papers with number halshs-00799175.
Date of creation: 11 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00799175
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
biodiversity; species imperilment; Spatial econometrics; Cliff-Ord model; spatial Durbin model;
Other versions of this item:
- Johanna CHOUMERT & Ariane Manuela AMIN, 2013. "Development and biodiversity conservation in Sub-Saharan Africa: A spatial analysis," Working Papers 201302, CERDI.
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- N17 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Africa; Oceania
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2013-03-23 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2013-03-23 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2013-03-23 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2013-03-23 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonathan Haughton & Shahidur R. Khandker, 2009. "Handbook on Poverty and Inequality," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11985, August.
- Maddison, David, 2006. "Environmental Kuznets curves: A spatial econometric approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 218-230, March.
- Bagliani, Marco & Bravo, Giangiacomo & Dalmazzone, Silvana, 2008. "A consumption-based approach to environmental Kuznets curves using the ecological footprint indicator," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 650-661, April.
- McPherson, Michael A. & Nieswiadomy, Michael L., 2005. "Environmental Kuznets curve: threatened species and spatial effects," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 395-407, November.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011.
"Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?,"
SERC Discussion Papers, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE
0071, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?," Working Papers, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics 1101, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 33581, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stern, David I., 2004.
"The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve,"
World Development, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1419-1439, August.
- David I. Stern, 2003. "The Rise and Fall of the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics 0302, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, G.M & Krueger, A.B., 1991.
"Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement,"
Papers, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs
158, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement," NBER Working Papers 3914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene & Krueger, Alan B, 1992. "Environmental Impacts of a North American Free Trade Agreement," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 644, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhattarai, Madhusudan & Hammig, Michael, 2001. "Institutions and the Environmental Kuznets Curve for Deforestation: A Crosscountry Analysis for Latin America, Africa and Asia," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 995-1010, June.
- Mills, Julianne H. & Waite, Thomas A., 2009. "Economic prosperity, biodiversity conservation, and the environmental Kuznets curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 68(7), pages 2087-2095, May.
- Culas, Richard J., 2007. "Deforestation and the environmental Kuznets curve: An institutional perspective," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 429-437, March.
- G�ran Therborn & K.C. Ho, 2009. "Introduction," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 53-62, March.
- Heerink, Nico & Mulatu, Abay & Bulte, Erwin, 2001. "Income inequality and the environment: aggregation bias in environmental Kuznets curves," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 359-367, September.
- David M. Drukker & Ingmar Prucha & Rafal Raciborski, 2013. "A command for estimating spatial-autoregressive models with spatial-autoregressive disturbances and additional endogenous variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, StataCorp LP, vol. 13(2), pages 287-301, June.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2004. "Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis: A Survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 431-455, August.
- Corrado, L. & Fingleton, B., 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," SIRE Discussion Papers, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE) 2011-02, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Deborah Dawson & Jason F. Shogren, 2001. "An Update on Priorities and Expenditures under the Endangered Species Act," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(4), pages 527-532.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
- Shafik, Nemat, 1994. "Economic Development and Environmental Quality: An Econometric Analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 757-73, Supplemen.
- Benjamin M. Simon & Craig S. Leff & Harvey Doerksen, 1995. "Allocating scarce resources for endangered species recovery," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 415-432.
- Pandit, Ram & Laband, David N., 2007. "Spatial autocorrelation in country-level models of species imperilment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 526-532, January.
- Kearsley, Aaron & Riddel, Mary, 2010. "A further inquiry into the Pollution Haven Hypothesis and the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 905-919, February.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Benoit Laplante & Hua Wang & David Wheeler, 2002. "Confronting the Environmental Kuznets Curve," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 147-168, Winter.
- Andreas Freytag & C. Vietze & W. Völkl, 2009. "What Drives Biodiversity? An Empirical Assessment of the Relation between Biodiversity and the Economy," Jena Economic Research Papers 2009-025, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- John Asafu-Adjaye, 2003. "Biodiversity Loss and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(2), pages 173-185, 04.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.