Competition in the quality of higher education: the impact of students' mobility
AbstractThis paper analyzes in a two-country model the impact of students' mobility on the country-specific level of higher educational quality. Individuals decide whether and where to study based on their individual ability and the implemented quality of education. We show that the mobility of students affects educational quality in countries and welfare in a very different way depending on the degree of return migration. With a low return probability, countries choose suboptimally differentiated levels of educational quality, or even no differentiation at all.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series PSE Working Papers with number halshs-00564912.
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00564912
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
higher education ; migration ; tuition fees ; education quality ; vertical differentiation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-02-19 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-EDU-2011-02-19 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2011-02-19 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2011-02-19 (Economics of Human Migration)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Haupt, Alexander & Krieger, Tim & Lange, Thomas, 2013. "Education policy, student migration, and brain gain," Discussion Paper Series 2013-05, University of Freiburg, Wilfried Guth Endowed Chair for Constitutional Political Economy and Competition Policy.
- Thomas Lange, 2013. "Return migration of foreign students and non-resident tuition fees," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 703-718, April.
- Alexander Haupt & Tim Krieger & Thomas Lange, 2011.
"Competition for the International Pool of Talent: Education Policy and Student Mobility,"
35, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Krieger, Tim & Haupt, Alexander M. & Lange, Thomas, 2011. "Competition for the International Pool of Talent: Education Policy and Student Mobility," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 49, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Alexander Haupt & Tim Krieger & Thomas Lange, 2011. "Competition for the International Pool of Talent: Education Policy and Student Mobility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3421, CESifo Group Munich.
- Matthieu Delpierre & Bertrand Verheyden, 2011. "Student and Worker Mobility under University and Government Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 3415, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.