Public Funding of Higher Education when Students and Skilled Workers are Mobile
AbstractThe interregional mobility of high-skilled workers may induce an underinvestment in local public higher education when subfederal entities independently decide on education expenditures to maximize local output. This well-known result, which is due to a positive interregional spillover of local education policy when some individuals emigrate upon graduation, can reverse once taking student mobility into account. When local education policy attracts foreign students, a negative spillover takes place, and the actual discrepancy between decentralized policy and the global-output-maximizing solution depends on the relative size of the two spillovers. The paper also presents a variant of the model with local governments' objectives resting exclusively upon natives' utility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen in its journal FinanzArchiv.
Volume (Year): 65 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa
Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I22 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Educational Finance; Financial Aid
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:pdn:ciepap:8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Delpierre, Matthieu & Verheyden, Bertrand, 2014.
"Student and worker mobility under university and government competition,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 26-41.
- Matthieu Delpierre & Bertrand Verheyden, 2011. "Student and Worker Mobility under University and Government Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 3415, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tim Krieger & Thomas Lange, 2010.
"Education policy and tax competition with imperfect student and labor mobility,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 17(6), pages 587-606, December.
- Maria Racionero & Elena Del Rey, 2012.
"Choosing the type of income-contingent loan: risk-sharing versus risk-pooling,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
671, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Elena Del Rey & María Racionero, 2014. "Choosing the type of income-contingent loan: risk-sharing versus risk-pooling," Working Papers 2014/7, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Rainald Borck & Silke Uebelmesser & Martin Wimbersky, 2012.
"The Political Economics of Higher Education Finance for Mobile Individuals,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3877, CESifo Group Munich.
- Übelmesser, Silke & Borck, Rainald & Wimbersky, Martin, 2013. "The Political Economics of Higher Education Finance for Mobile Individuals," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79717, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00564912 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marcel GERARD & Silke UEBELMESSER, 2014.
"Financing Higher Education when Students and Graduates are Internationally Mobile,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2014010, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Silke Übelmesser & Marcel Gérard, 2014. "Financing Higher Education when Students and Graduates are Internationally Mobile," Jena Economic Research Papers 2014-009, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Haupt, Alexander & Krieger, Tim & Lange, Thomas, 2013. "Education policy, student migration, and brain gain," Discussion Paper Series 2013-05, University of Freiburg, Wilfried Guth Endowed Chair for Constitutional Political Economy and Competition Policy.
- Thomas Lange, 2013. "Return migration of foreign students and non-resident tuition fees," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 703-718, April.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Isabella Reczkowski, 2012. "International Student Mobility and High-Skilled Migration: The Evidence," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 132, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- repec:pdn:ciepap:35 is not listed on IDEAS
- Krieger, Tim & Haupt, Alexander M. & Lange, Thomas, 2011.
"Competition for the International Pool of Talent: Education Policy and Student Mobility,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
49, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Alexander Haupt & Tim Krieger & Thomas Lange, 2011. "Competition for the International Pool of Talent: Education Policy and Student Mobility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3421, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gabrielle Demange & Robert Fenge & Silke Uebelmesser, 2012. "Financing Higher Education in a Mobile World," CESifo Working Paper Series 3849, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.