Price Discrimination in Practice: The Market for Drugs in Egypt and the U.S
AbstractThis paper attempts to analyze the medical and economical reasons that cause a difference in the price elasticity of patients' demand to drugs between Egypt and the United States of America. The study was based on two medicines produced by Pfizer (Lipitor and Viagra), with both of them available in Egypt as well as the United States. The result of this study reflected that Egyptians are more sensitive to the changes in price relative to Americans for both Lipitor and Viagra because of different economical and medical factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The German University in Cairo, Faculty of Management Technology in its series Working Papers with number 20.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Price Discrimination; Pharmaceutical Industry;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- D42 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Monopoly
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2010-07-24 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-COM-2010-07-24 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2010-07-24 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MKT-2010-07-24 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aaron S. Edlin & Mario Epelbaum & Walter P. Heller, 1998. "Is Perfect Price Discrimination Really Efficient?: Welfare and Existence in General Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 897-922, July.
- Elizabeth K. Kiser, 1998. "Heterogeneity in Price Sensitivity and Retail Price Discrimination," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1150-1153.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lobna Sameer).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.