On The Efficiency Of Market Equilibrium In Production Economies
AbstractThis paper introduces the notion of Market Equilibrium With Active Consumers (MEWAC), in order to characterize the efficiency of market outcomes in production economies. We show that, no matter the behaviour followed by the firms, a market equilibrium is efficient if it is a MEWAC. And also that every efficient allocation can be decentralized as a MEWAC in which firms follow the marginal pricing rule.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie AD with number 2000-17.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter J. Hammond & Antonio Villar, .
"Efficiency with Non-Convexities: Extending the "Scandinavian Consensus" Approaches,"
97036, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Hammond, Peter J & Villar, Antonio, 1998. " Efficiency with Non-convexities: Extending the "Scandinavian Consensus" Approaches," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 11-32, March.
- Moriguchi, Chiaki, 1996. "Two-part marginal cost pricing in a pure fixed cost economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 363-385.
- Brown, Donald J & Heal, Geoffrey, 1979.
"Equity, Efficiency, and Increasing Returns,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 571-85, October.
- Makowski, Louis & Ostroy, Joseph M, 1995.
"Appropriation and Efficiency: A Revision of the First Theorem of Welfare Economics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(4), pages 808-27, September.
- Lewis Makowski & Joseph Ostroy, 2010. "Appropriation and Efficiency: A Revision of the First Theorem of Welfare Economics," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1386, David K. Levine.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Bonnisseau, Jean-Marc & Cornet, Bernard, 1988.
"Existence of equilibria when firms follow bounded losses pricing rules,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 119-147, April.
- Bonnisseau, J.-M. & Cornet, B., 1986. "Existence of equilibria when firms follow bounded losses pricing rules," CORE Discussion Papers 1986007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BONNISSEAU, Jean-Marc & CORNET, Bernard, . "Existence of equilibria when firms follow bounded losses pricing rules," CORE Discussion Papers RP -814, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Antonio Villar Notario & Peter Hammond, 1998. "- Valuation Equlibrium Revisited," Working Papers. Serie AD 1998-24, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Vohra, Rajiv, 1988. "Optimal regulation under fixed rules for income distribution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 65-84, June.
- Aaron S. Edlin & Mario Epelbaum & Walter P. Heller, 1998. "Is Perfect Price Discrimination Really Efficient?: Welfare and Existence in General Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 897-922, July.
- Vohra, Rajiv, 1990. "On the Inefficiency of Two-Part Tariffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 415-38, July.
- Antonio Villar, 2007. "Competitive Pricing," Working Papers 07.08, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.