The genealogy of modern theoretical public economics: From first best to second best
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 39 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eer
Other versions of this item:
- Guesnerie, R., 1994. "The Genealogy of Modern Theoretical Public Economics: From first best to second best," DELTA Working Papers 94-25, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guesnerie Roger, 1976.
"On the direction of tax reform,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Sah, Raaj Kumar, 1983. "How much redistribution is possible through commodity taxes?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 89-101, February.
- Brown, Donald J & Heal, Geoffrey, 1979.
"Equity, Efficiency, and Increasing Returns,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 571-85, October.
- Cornet, Bernard, 1988. "General equilibrium theory and increasing returns : Presentation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 103-118, April.
- Heady, Christopher J. & Mitra, Pradeep K., 1982. "Restricted redistributive taxation, shadow prices and trade policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Roger Guesnerie & Michael Jerison, 1989.
"Taxation as a Social Choice Problem, The Scope of the Laffer Argument,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
245, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Jerison, Michael, 1991. "Taxation as a social choice problem : The scope of the Laffer argument," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 37-63, February.
- Guesnerie, R. & Jerison, M., 1990. "Taxation as a Social Choice Problem, the Scope of the Laffer Argument," DELTA Working Papers 90-06, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Dixit, A.K., 1977.
"Price Changes and Optimum Taxation in a Many-Consumer Economy,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
117, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Avinash Dixit, 1979. "Price changes and optimum taxation in a many-consumer economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 143-157, March.
- Dreze, Jean & Stern, Nicholas, 1987. "The theory of cost-benefit analysis," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 909-989 Elsevier.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz & Partha Dasgupta, 1970.
"Differential Taxation, Public Goods, and Economic Efficiency,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
299, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Dasgupta, P, 1971. "Differential Taxation, Public Goods and Economic Efficiency," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 151-74, April.
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1979. "On allocations attainable through Nash equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 140-165, August.
- Vives, X. & Mas-Colell, A., 1989.
"Implementation in economies with a Continuum of Agents,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
129.90, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Vives, Xavier, 1993. "Implementation in Economies with a Continuum of Agents," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 613-29, July.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1991.
"The Optimality of Boiteux-Ramsey Pricing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 99-121, January.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1975. "Welfare effects of tax and price changes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-123, February.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, January.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Roberts, Kevin, 1987. "Minimum wage legislation as a second best policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 490-498.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1979. "Straightforward Individual Incentive Compatibility in Large Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 263-82, April.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1979. "General statements on second best pareto optimality," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 169-194, July.
- Fuchs, Gerard & Guesnerie, Roger, 1983. "Structure of Tax Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 403-34, March.
- Champsaur, Paul & Laroque, Guy, 1981. "Fair allocations in large economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 269-282, October.
- Egbert Dierker, 1986. "When does marginal cost pricing lead to Pareto efficiency?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 41-66, December.
- Diamond, P A & Mirrlees, James A, 1976.
"Private Constant Returns and Public Shadow Prices,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 41-47, February.
- Blackorby, C., 1990.
"Economic Policy In A Second-Best Environment,"
90c01, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Weymark, John A., 1979. "A reconciliation of recent results in optimal taxation theory," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 171-189, October.
- Egbert Dierker & Hans Haller, 1990. "Tax systems and direct mechanisms in large finite economies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 99-116, June.
- Beato, Paulina, 1982. "The Existence of Marginal Cost Pricing Equilibria with Increasing Returns," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(4), pages 669-88, November.
- Beato, Paulina & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1985. "On marginal cost pricing with given tax-subsidy rules," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 356-365, December.
- Fogelman, Francoise & Quinzii, Martine & Guesnerie, Roger, 1978.
"Dynamic processes for tax reform theory,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 200-226, April.
- Rodrigo Nobre Fernandez & André Carraro & Gabrielito Menezes & Giácomo Balbinotto Neto & Eduardo Tillmann, 2014. "Design Contract For Public-Privatepartnerships: A Theoretical Model For Brazilian Hospitals," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 062, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Jean Charles Hourcade & Franck Lecocq, 2003.
"Equitable Provision of Long-Term Public GoodsThe role of Negotiation Mandates,"
CIRED Working Papers
- Lecocq, Franck & Hourcade, Jean-Charles, 2003. "Equitable provision of long-term public goods: the role of negotiation mandates," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3180, The World Bank.
- David, Laurent & Le Breton, Michel & Merillon, Olivier, 2007. "Kolm as a Contributor to Public Utility Pricing, Second Best Culture and the Theory of Regulation," IDEI Working Papers 490, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Peaucelle, Irina, 2002. "Capital social et anthroponomie," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 0204, CEPREMAP.
- Berliant, Marcus & Ledyard, John, 2011.
"Optimal Dynamic Nonlinear Income Taxes with No Commitment,"
31749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marcus Berliant & John Ledyard, 2004. "Optimal Dynamic Nonlinear Income Taxes with No Commitment," Public Economics 0403004, EconWPA, revised 21 Jun 2005.
- Zsolt Becsi, 1999. "Heterogeneity and the welfare cost of dynamic factor taxes," Working Paper 99-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Edoardo Marcucci, 1999. "Road Pricing: Old Beliefs, Present Awareness and Future Research Patterns," Working Papers 1999.4, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Carmona, Miguel, 2010. "The regulatory function in public-private partnerships for the provision of transport infrastructure," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 110-125.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.