Efficiency with Non-Convexities: Extending the "Scandinavian Consensus" Approaches
AbstractOctober 1997 (Now published: Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 100 (1998), 11--32.) There are two distinct "Scandinavian consensus" approaches to public good supply, both based on agents' willingness to pay. A Wicksell--Foley public competitive equilibrium arises from a negative consensus in which no change of public environment, together with associated taxes and subsidies which finance it, will be unanimously approved. Alternatively, in a Lindahl or valuation equilibrium, charges for the public environment induce a positive consensus. To allow general non-convexities to be regarded as aspects of the public environment, we extend recent generalizations of these equilibrium notions and prove counterparts to both the usual fundamental efficiency theorems of welfare economics. Journal of Economic Literature classification: H41, D51, D6 Keywords: non-convexities, welfare theorems, public goods, public competitive equilibrium, politico-economic equilibrium, Lindahl equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stanford University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 97036.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Ralph Landau Economics Building, Stanford, CA 94305-6072
Web page: http://www-econ.stanford.edu/econ/workp/
More information through EDIRC
non-convexities; welfare theorems; public goods; public competitive equilibrium; politico-economic equilibrium; Lindahl equilibrium;
Other versions of this item:
- Hammond, Peter J & Villar, Antonio, 1998. " Efficiency with Non-convexities: Extending the "Scandinavian Consensus" Approaches," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 11-32, March.
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D6 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1970. "A "Scandinavian consensus" solution for efficient income distribution among nonmalevolent consumers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 383-398, December.
- Antonio Villar Notario, 1994.
"Existence and efficiency of equilibrium in economies with increasing returns to scale: An exposition,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1994-07, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Antonio Villar, 1994. "Existence and efficiency of equilibrium in economics with increasing returns to scale: an exposition," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 18(2), pages 205-243, May.
- Brown, Donald J. & Heal, Geoffrey, 1980. "Two-part tariffs, marginal cost pricing and increasing returns in a general equilibrium model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Dreze, Jacques H & de la Vallee Poussin, D, 1971. "A Tatonnement Process for Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 133-50, April.
- Grandmont, J. M. & McFadden, D., 1972. "A technical note on classical gains from trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 109-125, May.
- Diamantaras, Dimitrios & Gilles, Robert P, 1996.
"The Pure Theory of Public Goods: Efficiency, Dencentralization, and the Core,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 851-60, November.
- Dimitrios Diamantaras & Robert P. Gilles, 1994. "The Pure Theory of Public Goods: Efficiency, Decentralization, and the Core," Public Economics 9403001, EconWPA.
- Egbert Dierker, 1986. "When does marginal cost pricing lead to Pareto efficiency?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 41-66, December.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Silvestre, Joaquim, 1989. "Cost share equilibria: A Lindahlian approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 239-256, April.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1987. "Markets as Constraints: Multilateral Incentive Compatibility in Continuum Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(3), pages 399-412, July.
- Malinvaud, Edmond, 1972. "Prices for Individual Consumption, Quantity Indicators for Collective Consumption," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 385-405, October.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Silvestre, Joaquim, 1991. "A note on cost-share equilibrium and owner-consumers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 204-214, June.
- Kaneko, Mamoru, 1977. "The ratio equilibrium and a voting game in a public goods economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 123-136, December.
- Diamantaras, Dimitrios & Gilles, Robert P & Scotchmer, Suzanne, 1996. "Decentralization of Pareto Optima in Economies with Public Projects, Nonessential Private Goods and Convex Costs," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 555-64, October.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1979. "Straightforward Individual Incentive Compatibility in Large Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 263-82, April.
- Laan, G. van der & Ruys, P.H.M. & Talman, A.J.J., 2000.
"Optimal Provision of Infrastructure Using Public-Private Partnership Contracts,"
2000-126, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Gerard van der Laan & Pieter Ruys & Dolf Talman, 2001. "Optimal Provision of Infrastructure using Public-Private Partnership Contracts," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-011/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Antonio Villar Notario & Peter Hammond, 2001. "Efficiency And Core Properties Of Valuation Equilibrium With Increasing Returns," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-24, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Antonio Villar Notario, 2000. "On The Efficiency Of Market Equilibrium In Production Economies," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Antonio Villar Notario & Peter Hammond, 1998. "- Valuation Equlibrium Revisited," Working Papers. Serie AD 1998-24, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maria Graziano & Maria Romaniello, 2012.
"Linear cost share equilibria and the veto power of the grand coalition,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 269-303, February.
- Maria Gabriella Graziano & Maria Romaniello, 2010. "Linear Cost Share Equilibria and the Veto Power of the Grand Coalition," CSEF Working Papers 248, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Antonio Villar, 2007. "Competitive Pricing," Working Papers 07.08, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.