Labor Market Distortions, Rural-Urban Inequality and the Opening of China’s Economy
AbstractThis paper evaluates the impact of some key labor market reforms on rural-urban inequality and income distribution, using a household-disaggregated, recursive dynamic computable general equilibrium (CGE) model of China. We also explore how these factor market reforms interact with product market reforms currently underway as part of China’s WTO accession process. The simulation results show that the reforms in rural land rental market and Hukou system, as well as increasing off-farm labor mobility would reduce the urban-rural income ratio dramatically. Furthermore, the combination of WTO accession and factor market reforms improves both efficiency and equality significantly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University in its series GTAP Working Papers with number 1323.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Note: GTAP Working Paper No. 27
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145
Phone: (765) 494-4267
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Hertel, Thomas & Zhai, Fan, 2006. "Labor market distortions, rural-urban inequality and the opening of China's economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 76-109, January.
- Hertel, Thomas & Zhai, Fan, 2004. "Labor market distortions, rural-urban inequality, and the opening of China's economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3455, The World Bank.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521266550.
- Shaohua Chen & Martin Ravallion, 2004. "Welfare Impacts of China's Accession to the World Trade Organization," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 29-57.
- Yaohui Zhao, 1999. "Leaving the Countryside: Rural-to-Urban Migration Decisions in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 281-286, May.
- Anderson, Kym & Huang, Jikun & Ianchovichina, Elena, 2003. "Long-run impacts of China's WTO accession on farm-nonfarm income inequality and rural poverty," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3052, The World Bank.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Martin, William, 2003.
"Economic impacts of China's accession to the World Trade Organization,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3053, The World Bank.
- Elena Ianchovichina & Will Martin, 2004. "Impacts of China's Accession to the World Trade Organization," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 3-27.
- Lu, Zhigang & Song, Shunfeng, 2006. "Rural-urban migration and wage determination: The case of Tianjin, China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 337-345.
- Jing Cao, 2008. "A Dynamic Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Environmental Taxation and "Rural-Urban" Migration Distrotions in China," EEPSEA Research Report rr2008011, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Jan 2008.
- Wei Zou & Yong Liu, 2010. "Skilled Labor, Economic Transition and Income Differences: A Dynamic Approach," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 11(2), pages 247-275, November.
- Li, Ji Feng & Wang, Xin & Zhang, Ya Xiong, 2012. "Is it in China's interest to implement an export carbon tax?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2072-2080.
- Arvind Virmani, 2006. "ChinaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Socialist Market Economy - Lessons Of Success," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22274, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Lin, Justin Yifu & Martin, William J., 2009. "The Financial Crisis and Its Impact on the Global Agricultural Landscape," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53208, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chen, Anping & Groenewold, Nicolaas, 2010.
"Reducing regional disparities in China: An evaluation of alternative policies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 189-198, June.
- Anping Chen & Nicolaas Groenewold, 2009. "Reducing Regional Disparities in China: An Evaluation of Alternative Policies," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 09-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Zhai, Fan & Hertel, Thomas W., 2009. "Economic and Poverty Impacts of Agricultural, Trade and Factor Market Reforms in China," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 52787, World Bank.
- Anping Chen & Nicolaas Groenewold, 2011.
"Regional Equality and National Development in China: Is There a Trade‐Off?,"
Growth and Change,
Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 42(4), pages 628-669, December.
- Anping Chen & Nicolaas Groenewold, 2009. "Regional Equality and National Development in China: Is There a Trade-Off?," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 09-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Wang, Xiaobing, 2007. "Labor market behavior of Chinese rural households during transition," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 42, number 92321, July.
- Vennemo, Haakon & Aunan, Kristin & He, Jianwu & Hu, Tao & Li, Shantong & Rypd3al, Kristin, 2008. "Environmental impacts of China's WTO-accession," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 893-911, February.
- Yinhua Mai & Xiujian Peng, 2011. "Labour Market Reform, Rural Migration and Income Inequality in China - A Dynamic General Equilibrium Analysis," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-221, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeremy Douglas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.