Short Run Bond Risk Premia
AbstractIn the short-run, bond risk premia exhibit pronounced spikes around major economic and financial crises. In contrast, long-term bond risk premia feature cyclical swings. We empirically examine the predictability of the market variance risk premium—a proxy of economic uncertainty—for bond risk premia and we show the strong predictive power for the one month horizon that almost entirely disappears for horizons above one year. The variance risk premium is largely orthogonal to well-established bond return predictors—forward rates, jumps, yield curve factors, and macro variables. We rationalize our empirical findings in an equilibrium model of uncertainty about consumption and inflation which is coupled with recursive preferences. We show that the model can quantitatively explain the levels of bond and variance risk premia as well as the predictive power of the variance risk premium while jointly matching salient features of other asset prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp686.
Date of creation: Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2012-04-10 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-UPT-2012-04-10 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benigno, Pierpaolo & Ricci, Luca Antonio & Surico, Paolo, 2010.
"Unemployment and Productivity in the Long Run: the Role of Macroeconomic Volatility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8014, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Luca Antonio Ricci & Paolo Surico, 2010. "Unemployment and Productivity in the Long Run: The Role of Macroeconomic Volatility," NBER Working Papers 16374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paolo Surico & Luca Antonio Ricci & Pierpaolo Benigno, 2010. "Unemployment and Productivity in the Long Run: the Role of Macroeconomic Volatility," IMF Working Papers 10/259, International Monetary Fund.
- Benigno Pierpaolo & Surico Paolo & Ricci Luca Antonio, 2011. "Unemployment and productivity in the long run: The role of macroeconomic volatility," wp.comunite 0085, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Geert Bekaert & Marie Hoerova & Marco Lo Duca, 2012.
"Risk, uncertainty and monetary policy,"
Working Paper Research
229, National Bank of Belgium.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hoerova, Marie & Lo Duca, Marco, 2013. "Risk, uncertainty and monetary policy," Working Paper Series 1565, European Central Bank.
- Geert Bekaert & Marie Hoerova & Marco Lo Duca, 2010. "Risk, Uncertainty and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 16397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Hoerova, Marie & Lo Duca, Marco, 2010. "Risk, Uncertainty and Monetary Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 8154, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Taeyoung Doh, 2008.
"Long Run Risks in the Term Structure of Interest Rates : Estimation,"
2008 Meeting Papers
137, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Taeyoung Doh, 2013. "Long‐Run Risks In The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: Estimation," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(3), pages 478-497, 04.
- Taeyoung Doh, 2008. "Long run risks in the term structure of interest rates: estimation," Research Working Paper RWP 08-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Wei Xiong & Hongjun Yan, 2006.
"Heterogeneous Expectations and Bond Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
12781, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicholas Bloom & Max Floetotto & Nir Jaimovich & Itay Saporta-Eksten & Stephen Terry, 2013.
"Really Uncertain Business Cycles,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1195, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2008.
"Variable Rare Disasters: An Exactly Solved Framework for Ten Puzzles in Macro-Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
13724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2012. "Variable Rare Disasters: An Exactly Solved Framework for Ten Puzzles in Macro-Finance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 127(2), pages 645-700.
- Ralph S.J. Koijen & Hanno Lustig & Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh, 2010.
"The Cross-Section and Time-Series of Stock and Bond Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
15688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koijen, Ralph & Lustig, Hanno & van Nieuwerburgh, Stijn, 2012. "The Cross-Section and Time-Series of Stock and Bond Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 9024, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lieven Baele, 2010.
"The Determinants of Stock and Bond Return Comovements,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(6), pages 2374-2428, June.
- Lieven Baele & Geert Bekaert & Koen Inghelbrecht, 2009. "The Determinants of Stock and Bond Return Comovements," NBER Working Papers 15260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lieven Baele & Geert Bekaert & Koen Inghelbrecht, 2007. "The determinants of stock and bond return comovements," Working Paper Research 119, National Bank of Belgium.
- Nicholas Bloom, 2009.
"The Impact of Uncertainty Shocks,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(3), pages 623-685, 05.
- Philippe Mueller & Andrea Vedolin & Yu-min Yen, 2012. "Bond Variance Risk Premia," FMG Discussion Papers dp699, Financial Markets Group.
- Arash, Aloosh, 2011. "Variance Risk Premium Differentials and Foreign Exchange Returns," MPRA Paper 40829, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 18 Aug 2012.
- Bruno Feunou & Jean-Sébastien Fontaine & Abderrahim Taamouti & Roméo Tedongap, 2012.
"Risk Premium, Variance Premium and the Maturity Structure of Uncertainty,"
12-11, Bank of Canada.
- Bruno Feunou & Jean-Sébastien & Abderrahim Taamouti & Roméo Tédongap, 2011. "Risk premium, variance premium and the maturity structure of uncertainty," Economics Working Papers we1144, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Turan G. Bali & Hao Zhou, 2011. "Risk, uncertainty, and expected returns," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-45, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tim Bollerslev & James Marrone & Lai Xu & Hao Zhou, 2011. "Stock return predictability and variance risk premia: statistical inference and international evidence," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kees E. Bouwman & Elvira Sojli & Wing Wah Tham, 2012. "Aggregate Stock Market Illiquidity and Bond Risk Premia," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-140/IV/DSF46, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jianjun Miao & Bin Wei & Hao Zhou, 2012. "Ambiguity Aversion and Variance Premium," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2012-009, Boston University - Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.