Does Reuters Spreads Reflect Currencies Differences in Global Trading Activity?
AbstractA new estimate of the long-run impact of trading activity on bid-ask spreads in the foreign exchange markets is realized with a short panel containing around-the-clock Reuters quotes and global transaction volumes. Individual and time effects are accounted for in an unbalanced random effects model. In accordance with liquidity effect explanations the volume parameter is found to have a negative sign, although not at a high level of significance. The volatility parameter is positive and strongly significant. While the structural parameters of the model appear to be stable over time, the residuals are groupwise heteroscedastic. The higher standard error in 1992 might reflect the dynamic developments in the world forex market since 1989. Reuters quoting (tick) frequency is also tested as a measure of trading activity in spread estimations. The results turn out to be very similar to those with trading volumes, in particular when an instrumental variable estimator is employed to account for measurement errors or possible endogeneity problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp265.
Date of creation: Apr 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Hartmann, Philipp, 1998. "Do Reuters spreads reflect currencies' differences in global trading activity?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 757-784, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- G Alogoskoufis & R Portes & H Rey, 1998.
"The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0388, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 1998. "The emergence of the euro as an international currency," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 305-343, 04.
- Alogoskoufis, George & Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," CEPR Discussion Papers 1741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alogoskoufis, G. & Portes, R. & Rey, H., 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," DELTA Working Papers 97-28, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1998. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," NBER Working Papers 6424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andres, 2001.
"The Microstructure of the Euro Money Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartmann, Philipp, 1999. "Trading volumes and transaction costs in the foreign exchange market: Evidence from daily dollar-yen spot data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 801-824, May.
- Detken, Carsten & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"The Euro and International Capital Markets,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2461, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Detken, Carsten & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000. "The euro and international capital markets," Working Paper Series 0019, European Central Bank.
- Carsten Detken & Philipp Hartmann, 2000. "The Euro and International Capital Markets," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 27, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- TÃ¶rbjÃ¶rn I. Becker & Amadou N. R. Sy, 2005.
"Were Bid-Ask Spreads in the FX Market Excessive During the Asian Crisis?,"
IMF Working Papers
05/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Becker, Torbjorn & Sy, Amadou, 2006. "Were bid-ask spreads in the FX market excessive during the Asian crisis?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 434-449.
- Hartmann, Philipp, 1998. "The Currency Denomination of World Trade after European Monetary Union," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 424-454, December.
- Kannan, Prakash, 2009.
"On the welfare benefits of an international currency,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 588-606, July.
- Prakash Kannan, 2007. "On The Welfare Benefits Of An International Currency," 2007 Meeting Papers 29, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Prakash Kannan, 2007. "On the Welfare Benefits of an International Currency," IMF Working Papers 07/49, International Monetary Fund.
- Takatoshi Ito & Michael Melvin, 1999. "Japan's Big Bang and the Transformation of Financial Markets," NBER Working Papers 7247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liliane Karlinger, 2002. "The Impact of Common Currencies on Financial Markets: A Literature Review and Evidence from the Euro Area," Working Papers 02-35, Bank of Canada.
- Detken, Carsten & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000. "The euro and international capital markets," CFS Working Paper Series 2000/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- C. L. Osler, 2002.
"Stop-loss orders and price cascades in currency markets,"
150, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Osler, Carol L., 2005. "Stop-loss orders and price cascades in currency markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 219-241, March.
- Poskitt, Russell, 2005. "Bid/ask spreads in the foreign exchange market: An alternative interpretation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 562-583, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.