Information sharing and competition in the motor vehicle industry
AbstractUp to six months ahead of actual production, U.S. automakers announce plans for their monthly domestic production of cars. A leading industry trade journal publishes the initial plan and then a series of revisions leading up to the month in question. We analyze a panel data set spanning the years 1965--1995, matching the production forecasts with data for actual monthly production. We show that a firm's plan announcement affects competitors' later revisions of their own plans and eventual production. The interaction appears to be complementary---large plans or upward revisions cause competitors to revise plans upward and increase production. The results are consistent with models in which firms share information about common demand parameters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 1997-4.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Maura P. Doyle & Christopher M. Snyder, 1999. "Information Sharing and Competition in the Motor Vehicle Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(6), pages 1326-1364, December.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984.
"Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Working Papers 367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1147, David K. Levine.
- Grether, David M. & Plott, Charles R., .
"The Effects of Market Practices in Oligopolistic Markets: An Experimental Examination of the Ethyl Case,"
404, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Grether, David M & Plott, Charles R, 1984. "The Effects of Market Practices in Oligopolistic Markets: An Experimental Examination of the Ethyl Case," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(4), pages 479-507, October.
- Glenn Ellison, 1994. "Theories of Cartel Stability and the Joint Executive Committee," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(1), pages 37-57, Spring.
- Kahn, James A, 1992. "Why Is Production More Volatile Than Sales? Theory and Evidence on the Stockout-Avoidance Motive for Inventory-Holding," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 481-510, May.
- Crawford, Vincent P & Sobel, Joel, 1982.
"Strategic Information Transmission,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1431-51, November.
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Valerie A. Ramey, 1992.
"Output Fluctuations at the Plant Level,"
NBER Working Papers
4105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vives, Xavier, 1984. "Duopoly information equilibrium: Cournot and bertrand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 71-94, October.
- Cason, T.N., 1992. "The Impact of Information Sharing Opportunities on Market Outcomes: An Experimental Study," Papers 9303, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Amir Ziv, 1993. "Information Sharing in Oligopoly: The Truth-Telling Problem," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(3), pages 455-465, Autumn.
- Alison J. Kirby, 1988. "Trade Associations as Information Exchange Mechanisms," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 138-146, Spring.
- Spencer Krane & David Reifschneider, 1987. "The forecasting accuracy of auto assembly schedules," Special Studies Papers 216, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Exchange of Cost Information in Oligopoly," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 433-46, July.
- Porter, Robert H., 1983. "Optimal cartel trigger price strategies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 313-338, April.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Ann F. Friedlaender & Judy Shaw-Er Wang Chiang, 1990. "Interdependent Pricing and Markup Behavior: An Empirical Analysis of GM, Ford and Chrysler," NBER Working Papers 3396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard N. Clarke, 1983. "Collusion and the Incentives for Information Sharing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 383-394, Autumn.
- Liran Einav & S. Ravid, 2009. "Stock market response to changes in movies’ opening dates," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 311-319, November.
- Caruana, Guillermo & Einav, Liran, 2005.
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt0n71m1ch, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Guillermo Caruana & Liran Einav, 2005. "Production Targets," Discussion Papers 04-032, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Guillermo Caruana & Liran Einav, 2006. "Production Targets," NBER Working Papers 11958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo Caruana & Liran Einav, 2006. "Production Targets," 2006 Meeting Papers 16, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Guillermo Caruana & Liran Einav, 2006. "Production Targets," Working Papers wp2006_0602, CEMFI.
- Kai-Uwe Kühn & John Van Reenen, 2008.
"Capacity constraints and irreversible investments: defending against collective dominance in UPM Kymmene/Norske Skog/Haindl,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4437, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kai Uwe Kühn & John Van Reenen, 2008. "Capacity Constraints and Irreversible Investments: Defending Against Collective Dominance in UPM Kymmene/Norske Skog/Haindl," CEP Special Papers 19, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ronald Harstad & Stephen Martin & Hans-Theo Normann, 1997. "Experimental Tests of Consciously Parallel Behaviour in Oligopoly," CIE Discussion Papers 1997-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- David Genesove & Wallace P. Mullin, 2001.
"Rules, Communication and Collusion: Narrative Evidence from the Sugar Institute Case,"
NBER Working Papers
8145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Genesove & Wallace P. Mullin, 2001. "Rules, Communication, and Collusion: Narrative Evidence from the Sugar Institute Case," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 379-398, June.
- Genesove, David & Mullin, Wallace P, 2001. "Rules, Communication and Collusion: Narrative Evidence from the Sugar Institute Case," CEPR Discussion Papers 2739, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Geng, Wei & Qiu, Minmin & Zhao, Xiaobo, 2010. "An inventory system with single distributor and multiple retailers: Operating scenarios and performance comparison," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 434-444, November.
- Cooper, James C. & Wright, Joshua D., 2012. "Alcohol, antitrust, and the 21st Amendment: An empirical examination of post and hold laws," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 379-392.
- Corona, Carlos & Nan, Lin, 2013. "Preannouncing competitive decisions in oligopoly markets," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 73-90.
- Paolo Coccorese, 2010. "Information Exchange as a Means of Collusion: The Case of the Italian Car Insurance Market," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 55-70, March.
- Chang, Chun-Hao & Prakash, Arun J. & Yeh, Shu, 2004. "Sale of monopoly information and behavior of rivaling clients: A theoretical perspective," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 283-304.
- Ana Aizcorbe & Martha Starr & James T. Hickman, 2003. "The replacement demand for motor vehicles: evidence from the Survey of Consumer Finances," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2003-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Joseph E. Harrington, Jr & Roberto Hernan-Gonzalez & Praveen Kujal, 2013. "The Relative Efficacy of Price Announcements and Express Communication for Collusion: Experimental Findings," Working Papers 13-30, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Novshek, William & Thoman, Lynda, 1998. "Information disaggregation and incentives for non-collusive information sharing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 327-332, December.
- Creane, Anthony, 2007. "Productivity information in vertical sharing agreements," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 821-841, August.
- Darren Filson, 2003. "Dynamic Common Agency, Vertical Integration, and Investment: The Economics of Movie Distribution," Claremont Colleges Working Papers 2003-07, Claremont Colleges.
- Olivier Armantier, Oliver Richard, 2001. "Entry and Exchanges of Cost Information," Department of Economics Working Papers 01-06, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Dimitrova, Magdalena & Schlee, Edward E., 2003. "Monopoly, competition and information acquisition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1623-1642, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.